Topic: Monaghan quitting but will be back

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Monaghan quitting but will be back
« on: November 07, 2010, 01:14:06 AM »
Monaghan quitting but will be back
7 November 2010, 12:00 am

DISGRACED star Joel Monaghan has quit the NRL to save the Canberra Raiders from any further embarrassment from his Mad Monday atrocity.                          

Monaghan will tomorrow inform the Raiders of his decision to walk away from the final two years of his contract to look for a fresh start in the English Super League.

Such was the public's disgust at Monaghan's Mad Monday prank that the NRL will consider deregistering him, preventing him from playing in Australia for at least 12 months.

But the 27-year-old, who admits he recently began counselling to deal with alcohol problems, hopes to one day return to the NRL.

"It will be the saddest day of my life when I leave," Monaghan said in his first interview since the crisis emerged.

"If I try to stay here, there is too big a chance of my club being damaged as a result of the outcry over my stupid prank.

Source: Daily Telegraph | NRL

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Monaghan quitting but will be back
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:44:37 AM »
I say good on him for copping this on the chin and doing what he feels he needs to in order to save the club. At least he is taking responsibility for his actions. For his sake hopefully he can find a club in the ESL to go to and finish his career in peace.

pocket rocket

• John Ferguson
Re: Monaghan quitting but will be back
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:30:12 AM »
Seems like the best outcome for him at this stage. At least by quitting he spares himself from being fired and spares the club from having to do it to him.