Topic: Monaghan looks to Super League following scandal

Schifty

• Laurie Daley
Monaghan looks to Super League following scandal
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:51:55 PM »
Monaghan looks to Super League following scandal
9 November 2010, 9:44 pm

By Greg Pearson

Disgraced league star Joel Monaghan has quit the Canberra Raiders in the wake of a lewd sex act with a dog caught on camera.

The former Kangaroo is hoping to seek refuge in the northern hemisphere's Super League, but the Raiders say he would be welcomed back to the club in the future.

Five days after the infamous photo first surfaced, Monaghan had his day in front of the cameras.

The drunken incident made headlines around the world, even drawing the attention of Taiwan's infamous animators.

And Monaghan understood his team mates are also getting caught in the crossfire.

After 10 years with the green machine, saying sorry proved too much for the 28-year-old, as he cut short his speech, overcome by emotion.

The Raiders agreed the best decision for all parties had been made.

"I'll have to handle the jokes and taunts which is understandable but the players shouldn't have to put up with the pressure of my ongoing presence," he said.

"I received a huge amount of support from all the players and loved ones but the reality is the prank isn't going to be forgotten anytime soon. I phoned all major sponsors of the club today and apologised for my actions and informed them that I've sought out a release from the final two years of my contract, which the club have granted.

It was unlikely Monaghan would've been allowed to play for the Raiders next season, with the NRL hinting he would have been de-registered.

Monaghan now says he will look abroad.

"I'll be pursuing a spot in the English Super League. There are no hard feelings or grudges toward anyone else. They were my actions and I'm solely responsible for the prank that caused so much pain. I'd love more than anything to take it back but I can't."

Whether the controversy continues to dog him there remains to be seen.

3 News

Source: 3News