Topic: Furner Rejects Claims Parra Forward to Join Raiders as Injury Toll Mounts

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Battered Raiders have no money for Poore: Furner

Canberra boss Don Furner has rejected claims Parramatta forward Justin Poore will join the Raiders as soon as next month, despite the club's mounting injury toll.

Eels coach Stephen Kearney confirmed on ABC Radio yesterday Poore had attracted legitimate interest from Canberra, and may be a chance to join the Raiders before the June 30 transfer deadline.

But Furner yesterday told The Canberra Times that the Raiders were unlikely to draft in any players this season to help ease their injury crisis.

However, Furner said he would follow up Kearney's comments with Canberra's coaching staff to gauge Poore's position.

The Raiders bulging casualty ward grew larger after playmaker Josh Dugan (ankle) and second-rowers Joel Thompson (broken knuckle) and Trevor Thurling (shoulder) suffered injuries during Saturday's 40-18 loss to North Queensland.

An experienced outside back and a hooker remain at the top of the Raiders' player shopping list for next season.

''We've been discussing a lot of players, his [Poore's] name certainly came up a few weeks ago,'' Furner said. ''We can't bring anybody in unless we move someone [by June 30], and it's unlikely we're going to move someone.

''I'll look into the comments he [Kearney] made and talk to the coaches [today].''

Canberra is already without key players Terry Campese and Brett White for the season, while Shaun Berrigan, Glen Buttriss, Joe Picker and Bronson Harrison are also sidelined.

Berrigan (torn bicep) is rated a chance to play next Monday against the Dragons at Canberra Stadium, while Harrison (hamstring) is likely to return after withdrawing from the Cowboys match.

While injuries have ravaged the team, halfback Josh McCrone admitted the team felt humiliated after it trailed the Cowboys 30-6 at half-time.

''I suppose it's got to the stage … it's a bit embarrassing as a playing group to come off 30-6 at half-time, that's not good enough,'' McCrone said.

''We've had a few bad 40 minutes and I don't know if that's the worst unfortunately, that's the sad thing about it.

''There was a bit more pride in the jersey in the second half, but we've gone out and given teams too much start too many times, we have to learn that lesson.

''Same story, different chapter I suppose, too much dropped ball and too many penalties.''

McCrone is likely to shift to five-eighth and resume his halves partnership with halfback Sam Williams next week, with Dugan set to miss up to two months with a syndesmosis or ligament injury.

Dugan will have scans today to determine the extent of the damage after he fell awkwardly in a tackle late in Saturday's loss to the Cowboys.

Early estimates are Thompson will miss around four games, while Thurling faces about six weeks on the sideline.

But McCrone warned his teammates the injury toll wasn't an excuse to hoist the white flag.

''It's tough but there's not much option, we're beaten already if we go out there with our heads down,'' he said.

''I think they should retire that No.6 jersey, we've had enough injuries there.

''I might wear No.21 or something [against the Dragons].''

Source: The SMH