Topic: #Sharks to Fight Pomeroy Charge in Bid to Have Him Play Against Raiders

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Sharks to challenge Pomeroy charge

The Sharks will tonight head into the NRL judiciary to attempt to defend the dangerous contact charge leveled against centre Ben Pomeroy in a bid to have him available to play the Raiders on Sunday.

Pomeroy was charged with making contact to the head of Cowboys playmaker Johnathan Thurston last weekend, with the tackle, as per the newly released NRL guidelines, referred straight to the judiciary.

The Sharks, led by legal counsel, coach Shane Flanagan and General Manager of Footballer Darren Mooney, will accompany Pomeroy to the hearing and assist him in his defense.

Flanagan has indicated Pomeroy is likely to plead not-guilty to the charge.

“From the camera angles we’ve got at the moment, there’s no evidence that shows he’s come in contact with the head,” Flanagan said. “Pom doesn’t hit him in the head from what we’ve seen.”

With Pomeroy’s the first shoulder charge tackle to be referred straight to the judiciary panel, exactly what sort of suspension he could expect if found guilty is unsure, with Flanagan, along with many other coaches and officials, perplexed at the timing of the review panel structural change.

“I knew it would get someone, I was just hoping it wouldn’t be me,” Flanagan said.

Pomeroy also has 73 carry over points which would be added to any guilty verdict.

Were he suspended and ruled ineligible to play against the Raiders on Sunday, Ricky Leutele would be a ready-made replacement, with the young centre filling in capably during Pomeroy’s six weeks on the sidelines with a groin injury.

The judiciary hearing is set down for 6.00pm tonight (Wednesday).

Source: http://www.sharks.com.au/news-display/Sharks-to-challenge-Pomeroy-charge/63314