Topic: Tragic Death Leaves Canberra Region Rugby League Community in Mourning

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
League community shocked at young player's sudden death

Jay Lasscock congratulated by his teammates after a try in last year's semi-final.

The Canberra Raiders and the region's rugby league community is in mourning after the death of Queanbeyan Blues captain Jay Lasscock.

A former Raiders junior, Lasscock, 25, died suddenly on Sunday night.

Lasscock was yesterday described as the "backbone" of the Queanbeyan Blues, while other clubs have already rallied to show their respect.

Clubs have requested to organise a fund-raising collection for Lasscock's family, including his three children, to take place at the Canberra Raiders Cup semi-final between the Belconnen United Scholars and Yass Magpies at Queanbeyan's Seiffert Oval this Saturday.

Lasscock also represented the Raiders at junior levels through to Under 20s and current Raiders players have informally discussed the potential of wearing black arm bands in his memory during this Saturday's semi-final against the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Queanbeyan Blues stalwart Tom Ebsworth said Lasscock, who represented NSW Country last year, had been a dedicated clubman.

"I coached him in under-6s so he's been with the Blues since day one," Ebsworth said.

"He's been the backbone of the place for quite a few years now.

"It was a shock to everybody ... my phone's been going hot from other clubs [wanting to help]."

Lasscock played his final game for the Queanbeyan Blues in an elimination final loss two weeks ago, incredibly coming back from a dislocated shoulder the previous weekend.

"He was tough as teak, you don't play for [NSW] Country in the front row if you're not tough," Ebsworth said.

Queanbeyan Blues coach Adam Doyle tweeted that Lasscock had gone too young and "will be forever in our hearts".

Support is available for anyone who may be distressed by phoning Lifeline 13 11 14; Mensline 1300 789 978; Kids Helpline 1800 551 800.

Source: http://www.devonporttimes.com.au/news/national/national/sport/league-community-shocked-at-young-players-sudden-death/2659019.aspx

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Tragic Death Leaves Canberra Region Rugby League Community in Mourning
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 12:38:38 PM »
RIP Jay. Condolences to his family, friends and the Blues.