Topic: #Rabbitohs to Use Embarrassing Loss to Storm as a Lesson in Finals Footy

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Final failure fires Bunnies

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire believes his side can use last weekend's embarrassing loss to Melbourne as perfect on-the-job training for how to handle finals football and ensure they show what they're really made of this weekend.

In the club's first finals appearance in five years, the Rabbitohs were given a lesson in how to play September football by a clinical Storm side who cruised to a 24-6 win last Saturday night.

While the Bunnies have enjoyed a bumper season to finish in third spot, the heavy defeat has left serious question marks over whether they have the ability and temperament to take the next step and win the premiership.

They take on a red-hot Canberra side in Saturday night's do-or-die semi-final at ANZ Stadium and Maguire is confident his side have learned some valuable lessons which will ensure they keep their season alive.

"We put a lot of pressure on ourselves (last weekend) and Melbourne showed us how to play disciplined footy in finals," the Rabbitohs boss said on Thursday.

"We've got standards in this club and we didn't live up to those. We need to get back to that this weekend.

"It was very uncharacteristic of us last weekend and we've just got to go back to what we've been doing and showing all year.

"The boys are very focused about that, they were disappointed with their performance and we need to make sure we show ourselves on the weekend."

Much of the heat from the Storm defeat fell on halves John Sutton and Adam Reynolds, who struggled to have any influence on the game behind a well-beaten forward pack.

But Maguire has no doubt they will bounce back and has challenged his forward pack to lay the platform to make the job easier for their playmakers.

"Every experience the players have had this year they've lifted," Maguire said.

"Throughout the year we've learned lessons from every game that we've played... the losses and the wins.

"That was a tough loss to take but we took a lot out of that game of what we need to do this week.

"I know Sutto and Reyno will perform to their capabilities. If we get our forward pack moving forward and they play off the back of that it makes things fall our way."

Maguire admitted he was likely to make some subtle changes to his starting side for the Raiders clash, as he looks to fill the void left by the season-ending arm injury to centre Matt King.

Right winger Andrew Everingham was named in the left centre position on Tuesday, with Justin Hunt coming onto the flank but the rookie coach said no final decision had been made.

The Raiders possess a potent threat on their right-side with Blake Ferguson and Sandor Earl in terrific try-scoring form and Everingham's suspect defence could be a liability for the Bunnies.

Rabbitohs utility Chris McQueen was seen training in the wide left position on Thursday, only adding to the belief he will start in King's centre spot with Everingham remaining on the wing.

"We're always looking at our squad and I'm always doing the right thing by the team," Maguire said.

"I talk to the senior players and we're focused about making sure we get the best team out there on the park.

"I'm very lucky that I've got a very big squad and everybody's very, very keen to get out there.

"We'll decide exactly how we'll go (on Friday)."

Maguire said veteran winger Nathan Merritt, who picked up a shoulder injury late against the Storm, is in no doubt to face the Raiders in what will be his 200th NRL game.

Source: http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/final-failure-fires-bunnies-198115/page/1