Topic: #Rabbitohs Boosted as Star Cleared to Play 200th Game Against Raiders

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Merritt Will Definitely Play: Maguire

Rabbitohs Head Coach Michael Maguire says that Nathan Merritt will definitely line up for his 200th NRL game this Saturday night when the Rabbitohs look to redeem themselves in the second semi final of week two of the 2012 NRL Finals Series.

Merritt hurt his shoulder against the Melbourne Storm last weekend at AAMI Park, however he has done everything required of him to take the field this weekend in his 200th career first grade game.

Maguire says the Rabbitohs will be a stronger team for having been beaten by Melbourne last weekend, and learnt some lessons regarding September football.

"They're really focused this week," Maguire told the media scrum at the Australian Technology Park Performance Centre at Redfern Oval this morning.

"Obviously it's disappointing from our performance and Melbourne performed very well.

"They showed us how to play finals footy, but the thing that we're focused on now is what's in front of us now and that's Canberra."

Maguire says he's privileged to have a short injury list at this stage of the season, with only co-captain Matt King's broken arm in the casualty ward. He has a quality squad from which to select his best 17 for this week's clash with the 'Green Machine'.

"We're always looking at our squad and I'm always doing the right thing by the team," Maguire said.

"I talk to our senior players and we're focused on making sure we get the best team out there on the park.

"I'm very lucky that I've got a big squad and everyone's very, very keen to get out there, so we'll decide exactly how we're going to go tomorrow."

Maguire was asked about the likelihood of hooker Issac Luke being promoted to the starting line up for Saturday's clash.

"As I said we're making decisions for the team and we're trying to make decisions for the team and what's right for the team, so that's all in front of us, those decisions," Maguire said.

"The team that I've put out there, we've actually used before.

"'Evro's' played a little in the centres before and a bit on the wing.

"Again we're still making decisions and we'll come up with our final 17 tomorrow."

Coach Maguire did make one selection very clear though.

"'GI's' played at fullback for us and that's where he's staying," Maguire said succinctly.

Maguire answered queries about the fitness of Merritt, who will line up against his cousin Reece Robinson this Saturday night at the Rabbitohs' home ground of ANZ Stadium.

"He's good. Actually, he's really good," Maguire said with confidence.

"He's worked really, really hard.

"It's just more of a bruised shoulder.

"He'll definitely be playing."

Maguire spoke about the need for a more disciplined approach to to the Club's second finals appearance this year, something that was lacking in last week's duel with the Storm.

"It put a lot of pressure on ourselves and as I said Melbourne showed us how to play disciplined footy in finals and completed sets and put a lot of pressure on us," Maguire said.

"That's what the three of their big boys do and rest of their team.

"They're a quality team and showed us how to play finals and that's being disciplined."

Source: www.rabbitohs.com.au/news-display/Merritt-Will-Definitely-Play-Maguire/63881