Topic: Dugan stakes claim to Blues number one jumper

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Dugan stakes claim to Blues number one jumper
« on: February 13, 2011, 12:58:02 PM »
Dugan stakes claim to Blues number one jumper

Canberra Raiders fullback Josh Dugan has sounded a warning that the battle for the New South Wales number one jumper is now a three-horse race.

The 20-year-old was sublime in last night’s All Stars match at Skilled Park, leading the NRL All Stars to a 28-12 victory over the Indigenous All Stars in a man-of-the-match performance.

In the process he put Newcastle’s Kurt Gidley and Parramatta’s Jarryd Hayne on notice that they weren’t the only ones with a claim to the Blues fullback job.

With the start to the season proper still four weeks away, there is a lot of football to be played before attention turns to interstate hostilities.

But so eye-catching was Dugan’s performance, which included the clinching try with eight minutes left on the clock, that it didn’t take long for the O-word to come up after the game.

Even Dugan himself admitted he saw the All Stars game as a stage on which to showcase his act to the people who matter when State of Origin teams are selected in May.

And he had a host of past and present Origin stars queuing up after the game to say the speed and strength in his 188cm, 94kg frame wouldn’t be out of place in blue.

Laurie Daley, Darren Lockyer and Jonathan Thurston all conceded Origin duties may not be far away for the Canberra junior, who is developing a happy knack for starring in big games, having also earned man-of-the-match honours in last year’s City-Country match.

But while he’s happy to declare his intention to win an Origin berth, he insists club commitments are his top priority.

“I came into (last night’s) game thinking there was a lot of publicity in this game so if I played well I would put my name forward for Origin,” he said.

“It’s one of my goals but I wouldn’t say it’s my most important. I’m only 20 years old turning 21, so it would be awesome to play for New South Wales but my first goal is to take on a leadership role with Canberra.”

That’s music to the ears of former Raider Daley, who coached the Indigenous All Stars team last night and was in awe of Dugan after the game.

“I’m sure if he continues to put in performances like that and apply pressure, he will demand (Origin) selection somewhere, whether it’s at fullback or on the wing,” he said.

“He has started the season very well. There’s no doubt he’s a very talented player, but so is Jarryd Hayne so it will be a battle between those two guys.

“We didn’t see Hayne out there tonight, so who knows what he would have done out there. You can only go on how (Dugan) played tonight and he was fantastic.”

Daley, who stood down from the NSW selection panel in the wake of Queensland’s fifth-straight series victory last year, said the Blues’ embarrassment of riches at fullback, which also includes captain Gidley, may be a sign the tide is turning.

Maroons skipper Lockyer, who captained Dugan in last night’s All Stars game, had the feeling the pair could be rivals come Origin time.

“He’d have to be close,” he said. “He was great in City-Country last year and if he keeps playing like that it would be hard to deny him a spot.

“He’s an exciting young player. He reminds me a bit of (former Raiders, Blues and Kangaroos fullback) Brett Mullins, the way he runs and brings the ball back.”

Lockyer isn’t the first person to notice the resemblance.

Daley revealed there had even been talk in the Indigenous All Stars camp of a genetic link between the two.

“They thought he was Mullo’s lovechild,” he said, laughing. “He’s a tremendous talent. He’s so strong in his upper body. You go high on him and he pushes you away.”

One person who wasn’t excited about Dugan winning a blue jersey was Maroons halfback Thurston, who saw enough of him last night as he terrorised the Indigenous All Stars.

“It looks like he’s in for a big season,” he said. “If the Blues don’t pick him, that’s good for us.”

Source: Brisbane Times

GB7600

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Dugan stakes claim to Blues number one jumper
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 02:16:44 PM »
If Kidley is given the job again I will give up. Dugan is hands down the best in NSW currently but I wouldn't be surprised if they go with Hayne. Give me Hayne any day over Kurt he is so overrated.

Zeus

• John Ferguson
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 04:16:28 PM »
Nah even if Hayne is chosen over Duges it will be a fking joke mate. Everyone has seen how good he is so now there is no excuses anymore. Put Hayne on the wing and dump Gidley.

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »
What are you talking about guys? NSW should keep Gidley! He is great!... for Queensland  :13:  Dugan is made for Origin and is the best in NSW no doubt about it.

Stick Tongue in as NSW captain as well to get some pride and passion in there, NSW desperately need someone like him who can go the extra mile when the going gets tough. When will they sit up and watch Gallen and O'Donnel who always give away dump penalties and basically lose the match? When will they learn?

For Origin's sake I hope Ricky has learned and can fix things. It's boring watching one sided games :D

Territorian

• Jamaal Lolesi
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:26:27 PM »
Dugan was amazing in the all stars game! He really can play with the big boys. Everyone is heaping praise on him now; Lockyer, Thruston, Gus, Rabs, Sterlo, the Fox Sports guys, everyone you name it Really is nice to see one of our players getting all the media attention for the right reasons. Well done Josh!!

EzyE

• Craig Dimond
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 09:06:21 PM »
He is THE BEST

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 10:51:56 AM »
Better than all the resst. Better than anyone, anyone that I have ever met! :D

Ahh memories... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUB24vljejo

Good times  :13:

pocket rocket

• John Ferguson
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Footy was so much better back then before News came and got their claws into the game. The sooner the ind commision comes along the better we have been devided for to long.