Topic: Cornish V Milford - State against State, mate against mate

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Cornish V Milford - State against State, mate against mate
« on: April 19, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »
Mates face-off in Under-20 State of Origin showdown

RISING stars Anthony Milford and Mitch Cornish are close mates but admit it will mean nothing when they face each other for the first time in the under-20s State of Origin.

Queensland's Milford, described by Raiders captain Terry Campese as the most talented teenager he has seen, hopes to play a long career alongside Canberra Holden Cup teammate and captain Cornish (NSW), but the Origin clash has put their friendship on hold.

Milford, an 18-year-old five-eighth, and Cornish, 20, are seen as the future halves combination for the Raiders ahead of tomorrow's Holden Cup State of Origin clash at Centrebet Stadium.

"We're best mates off the field, but this is for Queensland," Milford said. "Nothing comes between that.

"This is the highest honour I've had yet. I really want to go out and play well for the jersey. It's right at the top for me.

"I'm expecting a really intense game. It's going to be physical and we're ready for that. There are some really big boys going to be playing, some players who have already been in the NRL. It's going to be on us to handle that."

Milford was named in the Queensland Emerging Origin camp this year and showed enough promise for the Raiders' NSW Cup team Mounties to earn his NRL debut against the Roosters in round five.

NSW took out the inaugural under-20s State of Origin clash with a gripping 18-14 victory.

NSW U20s v Qld U20s: Saturday, Centrebet Stadium, 5.35pm, live on Fox Sports. TAB odds: NSW $1.50, Queensland $2.60

Source: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/mates-face-off-in-under-20-state-of-origin-showdown/story-fndv2wef-1226623895703