Topic: Skinner granted his chance with Raiders

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Skinner granted his chance with Raiders
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:07:32 AM »
Skinner granted his chance with Raiders

WAGGA rugby league export Nick Skinner is celebrating after being handed the NRL opportunity he has dreamed about - a shot at first grade with the Canberra Raiders.

After two years of playing mainly with the Raiders' feeder club South Logan Magpies in the Queensland Cup, Skinner has been hand-picked by coach David Furner to take on Melbourne Storm in an NRL trial at Bega on Saturday.

Alongside fellow Riverina prodigies Glen Buttriss, Josh McCrone and David Milne, Skinner will be striving to make his mark and possibly nab a spot in the new-look Raiders line-up for the NRL premiership.

Speaking to The Daily Advertiser yesterday, Skinner made it clear the chance to play in the first grade trial against the Storm could not have come quickly enough.

"I'm really excited, and a bit nervous at the same time, but that's a good thing," Skinner said from Canberra.

"I've been going back and forth in the under-20 reserve-grade side for a few years but I'll be back in Canberra for the whole year this year so hopefully there'll be some good opportunities for me.

"The main thing is that I want to impress them this year and hopefully get a run in first grade more often.

"It's a matter of having to keep working hard and working away for as long as it takes."

Skinner has endured a frustrating few years, with persistent injuries putting a hold on his chance to progress with the Raiders.

After an intense pre-season regime, Skinner is confident his injury woes are behind him and he is ready to take the next step in his emerging career.

"I've had a fair few injuries over the years, I had my neck operated on last year so this is the first full pre-season that I've done with them," he said.

"I'm feeling good.

"I don't have any worries as far as this game goes, I'm injury-free at the moment and I'm feeling as fit as I think I ever have."

Although optimistic of snatching a few NRL games in the coming season, Skinner knows he faces a front-row challenge to push ahead of Australian representatives Brett White and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs in the queue.

"There's a couple of blokes in front of me, we have two current Australian front-rowers in the team so I might have to bide my time for a bit," he said.

"I think around Origin time they'll be looking for someone to stand in and hopefully then I'll get the chance."

Ahead of Saturday's trial, Skinner is adamant the Raiders will be a formidable force in the NRL season starting on March 11.

"On the back of the end of last year you can see it's going to be a big year," he said.

Source: Daily Advertiser