Topic: Williams to control the under-20s

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Williams to control the under-20s
« on: March 18, 2011, 05:25:57 PM »
Williams to control the under-20s

Raiders under-20s coach David Hamilton hopes the return of classy halfback Sam Williams can lead Canberra to its first win of the National Youth Competition.

Williams was brilliant in his NRL debut last Sunday, orchestrating a 40-12 thumping of the Cronulla Sharks in the absence of veteran playmaker Matt Orford.

But with the 2008 Dally M medallist overcoming a groin injury, Williams, 19, drops back to lead the club's under-20s team.

It's a timely acquisition for Hamilton's side after its narrow 34-30 loss to the Sharks in round one.

''We got to a stage where we were up 24-14 and we panicked so more control from the halves is essential,'' Hamilton said.

''Obviously having Sam Williams back will help with that.

''He doesn't panic and he's always in control.

''That's the reason why he played NRL.

''He understands what's needed to win games.''

The NYC outfit faces a Brisbane Broncos side which beat the North Queensland Cowboys 46-24 last week.

Hamilton has prepared his troops for an early onslaught from the baby Broncos.

An opening 20-minute assault yielded 24 unanswered points and it was catch-up for the Cowboys from then onwards.

Hamilton is looking to his senior players to be more dominant and communicate more effectively in order to lead the younger brigade.

One of those senior players is Haydon Hodge.

Hodge is looking to return to his stunning form of last season, which resulted in him training with the first-grade squad over the summer.

The dangerous centre was guilty of a few uncharacteristic defensive lapses.

''Hodgy was pretty disappointed in his game,'' Hamilton said.

''We made him captain and I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but he's a quality kid and I'm sure he'll turn it around this week.''

Hodge still managed to cross for a double, but is eager to put out a more rounded performance against a talent-laden Broncos outfit.

''I'm looking to get more involved this week and lead the team a bit more,'' Hodge said.

''Tries aren't everything and I know I need to play better.

''We know that if we drop too much ball like last week they've got the players that can capitalise on those mistakes, particularly Corey Norman and Dale Copely.''

TONIGHT

National Youth Competition, Round Two: Canberra Raiders v Brisbane Broncos at Canberra Stadium, 6.15pm.

Source: The Canberra Times