Topic: Anthony Milford  

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Anthony Milford
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 02:45:24 PM »
Mates face-off in Under-20 State of Origin showdown

RISING stars Anthony Milford and Mitch Cornish are close mates but admit it will mean nothing when they face each other for the first time in the under-20s State of Origin.

Queensland's Milford, described by Raiders captain Terry Campese as the most talented teenager he has seen, hopes to play a long career alongside Canberra Holden Cup teammate and captain Cornish (NSW), but the Origin clash has put their friendship on hold.

Milford, an 18-year-old five-eighth, and Cornish, 20, are seen as the future halves combination for the Raiders ahead of tomorrow's Holden Cup State of Origin clash at Centrebet Stadium.

"We're best mates off the field, but this is for Queensland," Milford said. "Nothing comes between that.

"This is the highest honour I've had yet. I really want to go out and play well for the jersey. It's right at the top for me.

"I'm expecting a really intense game. It's going to be physical and we're ready for that. There are some really big boys going to be playing, some players who have already been in the NRL. It's going to be on us to handle that."

Milford was named in the Queensland Emerging Origin camp this year and showed enough promise for the Raiders' NSW Cup team Mounties to earn his NRL debut against the Roosters in round five.

NSW took out the inaugural under-20s State of Origin clash with a gripping 18-14 victory.

NSW U20s v Qld U20s: Saturday, Centrebet Stadium, 5.35pm, live on Fox Sports. TAB odds: NSW $1.50, Queensland $2.60

Source: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/mates-face-off-in-under-20-state-of-origin-showdown/story-fndv2wef-1226623895703

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »
Raiders' Milford gets charge downgraded

Young Canberra utility back Anthony Milford has had a bizarre grade three dangerous contact charge successfully downgraded to provide a timely boost for his injury-ravaged side against Melbourne on Saturday.

The 85kg elusive back was defending metres off his tryline for the Raiders' under-20 team last week when he moved forward and took a low-cover position in front of a rampaging 104kg Cowboys forward, catapulting him over the top of himself using his back and shoulders.

Weighing up a suitable punishment for the dangerous contact proved difficult, with coach David Furner adding that no one had ever seen anything quite like it.

However the judiciary downgraded the charge from grade three to grade one during an appeal on Wednesday night, and as Milford only has 75 points accumulated, the exciting young talent is free to play just his second NRL game against the undefeated Storm at AAMI Park on Saturday.

It's a welcome boost for the injury-depleted Raiders, who have star players David Shillington (ribs), Josh Papalii (knee), Jarrod Croker (knee) and Joel Thompson (toe) currently in the recovery ward.

The Raiders took note of the way the Warriors had moments of success in throwing the ball around against the Storm last week and Furner is keen to have 18-year-old Milford's unpredictable playing style up his sleeve.

"He's someone who can cover fullback, can cover halves and nine, he's a versatile player," Furner said.

"Against a Melbourne team you need a player of his calibre to try and break their defensive line."

Halfback Josh McCrone also looks likely to overcome a niggling groin injury to pair with captain Terry Campese in the halves.

Meanwhile, enforcer Papalii says he expects to return to the side after having minor operations on both knees either next week for Newcastle or in round 10 against Cronulla.

"I had my first running session today, it went pretty well," Papalii said on Wednesday.

"I had both knees done and that's probably why it's taking longer than usual."

Source: http://au.rd.yahoo.com/sport/rss/rugbyleague/*http%3A//au.sports.yahoo.com/league/news/article/-/16975474/raiders-milford-gets-charge-downgraded/

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »
Rookie Milford settles in for the time of his life

His flashiness has catapulted him into the NRL, but Canberra whiz kid Anthony Milford may not have got there without off-field guidance from the club's ''Polynesian brotherhood''.

Plagued by homesickness, Milford was permitted by the Raiders to visit family in Brisbane on numerous occasions last year.

It was a calculated gamble by Canberra, which was concerned the 18-year-old could find it difficult to leave the comforts of home. But Canberra back-rower Josh Papalii has been the pivotal factor in Milford settling in the capital.

Like Milford, Papalii was raised in Brisbane by Samoan-born parents, and struggled to adjust when he left his support network. The pair lived together last year, with Milford describing the Papalii clan as ''like a second family''. When the Raiders beat the Roosters on his NRL debut in round five, Milford leapt into Papalii's arms in celebration. It was not coincidence, but a gesture of thanks for his guiding hand.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/rookie-milford-settles-in-for-the-time-of-his-life-20130503-2iyor.html#ixzz2SHeJYFd1

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:53 AM »
Read About a Raider – Anthony Milford

Read About a Raider is a weekly segment in which you, the club’s members, get to ask a specific player for that week any question you like. This week’s player is the Raiders young excitement machine Anthony Milford!

Matt Kennerson: Hey Tony, you’ve been really impressive in your brief game time! How have you found the step up to first grade being so young?

Tony: Thanks Matt I really appreciate your support. Playing in the NRL has been challenging at times but when you have got guys like Campo, Papa, Josh McCrone and the senior group it helps make my job a lot easier.

The team has helped me out a lot and their encouragement has helped me to get a lot of confidence out of my first grade experience.

Michelle Lau: Hi Anthony, were you really nervous before your first grade debut?

Tony: Hi Michelle, yeah I was definitely really nervous! Playing against players that you watch when you were growing up like Sonny Bill Williams just felt so surreal but it was an experience that I’ll cherish and never forget.

The have been Roosters one of the form teams in the competition this year so to get a win in my debut game over them in front of our home fans was awesome.

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/raiders/74659

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »
Milford improving in leaps and bounds

Whilst the Raiders were left disappointed, bloodied and bruised after their hard-fought 30-20 loss to the Cronulla Sharks on Sunday, a shining light emerged from the stellar performance of 18 year old Anthony Milford.

Milford, who has only been averaging 20-30 minutes per game as an impact player, was thrust into the deep end after just 16 minutes when Josh McCrone was taken off injured following a monstrous hit by Sam Tagataese.

The shy, yet prodigiously talented youngster admitted to being slightly nervous before he was about to take the field however he certainly didn’t show it.

In his 64 minutes on the field Milford was close to being Canberra’s best player. He scored two tries, one a scintillating 50 metre effort, created a try for Blake Ferguson with a delicate grubber and registered two line breaks, seven tackle breaks and 119 metres.

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/raiders/75194

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »
Maroons prop David Shillington expects big things from young Canberra teammate and Logan product Anthony Milford

HE IS the 18-year-old Logan product rated as talented as Johnathan Thurston was at the same age and his Canberra teammate David Shillington predicts he will soon be attached to adjectives such as "great".

Anthony Milford will play the club whose backyard he grew up in tonight when the Broncos travel to Canberra to face a Raiders team surprisingly ahead of them on the NRL ladder in 10th place.

Maroons prop Shillington said the flashy five-eighth, who has played in the halves for every Queensland age group team, would develop into a "great player" with tonight just his fifth NRL appearance.

Milford is signed to Canberra until the end of 2014, but was tempted to return to Brisbane due to homesickness.

That was until he moved in with Josh Papalii, another Logan talent plying his trade in Canberra, and while the duo declared allegiance to Queensland, they hope to represent Samoa at the Rugby League World Cup later this year.

Milford has already scored three tries and made 15 tackles busts in his four games, despite appearing for between 30 and 50 minutes in each.

"He was carving us up in the pre-season during opposed sessions. We couldn't get a hand on him," Shillington said.

"We were wondering if he could do it in the NRL because it is obviously very different to training ... and in the first couple of games he was a bit shy but in the last couple he has got more involved.

"I said to him, 'Just play like you do in the backyard and don't worry about the other stuff because with your skill it will work out'.

"When he gets more game time ... he will be a great player."

Shillington and the Raiders face a Broncos team hurting following their 56-18 capitulation to the Warriors last Monday night.

Their five wins from 12 games start is their worst opening half to a season since 2007.

If the Broncos are defeated they will lose touch with top eight and remain entrenched in 11th place and two wins away from the finals contenders.

"They will be so pumped up. You never want to play a team on the rebound like that," Shillington said.

"We have seen it with the Warriors already. Teams fight back so hard.

"We need some wins at this stage of the year because a couple of wins could shoot us up the ladder."

Source: http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/nrl/maroons-prop-david-shillington-expects-big-things-from-young-canberra-teammate-and-logan-product-anthony-milford/story-fn7shzfu-1226661018427

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 07:36:29 PM »
Milford wants to make Canberra home

Anthony Milford’s brilliant match-sealer earned praise from Johnathan Thurston, and Canberra teammate Josh Papalii hopes they will be ‘‘Raiders forever’’ after the youngster’s stunning display in Sunday’s 26-18 win over North Queensland.

Playing fullback in the NRL for the first time after being blooded as a bench utility, whiz kid Milford scored a scintillating individual try to seal a crucial Raiders win at Canberra Stadium.

Milford’s shift to fullback was forced by a host of injuries to Raiders outside backs, with Reece Robinson shifting to wing.

It reaped dividends when he embarrassed Cowboys halfback Robert Lui with devastating footwork and speed to score a 60-metre try off a scrum in the dying minutes.

Milford, who turns 19 on Thursday, was personally congratulated by Cowboys superstar Thurston after the game - ‘‘well done mate, great game, good luck for the rest of the year.’’

He was overwhelmed by the gesture, but it was the moment which confirmed he has arrived as a bona fide NRL star.

‘‘That was massive for me coming from JT, I looked up to him when I was growing up,’’ he said with a big smile.

‘‘I was lucky enough with injuries I got a go at fullback and I was pretty nervous, but tried to stay as relaxed as I can.’’

Off-contract at the end of 2014, Milford wants to take the next big step toward signing with the Raiders long term by moving his Queensland-based family down to the capital after this season.

It’s a move which helped Maroons forward Papalii overcome crippling homesickness early on at the Raiders, and he has since progressed into the Maroons team.

Milford and Papalii forged a close bond growing up in Brisbane suburb Souths-Logan, a fruitful catchment area for the Raiders.

Like Papalii he initially yearned for home when he first came down, but is hopeful of convincing his family to move down.

‘‘I’m signed until next year but I’m looking forward to moving my parents down, I’m trying to move them down at the end of the year,’’ Milford said.

‘‘They’ve come down this week for the second time, so if they like it enough I’ll move the whole family down.’’

Papalii is certain to retain his Queensland place for the series decider when the it is named this week.

He was brilliant the Cowboys, his man of the match performance including a classy solo try of his own in the first half.

Raiders prop David Shillington did his changes of a Maroons return no harm with a huge 170-metre effort, but is unlikely to be recalled unless injuries strike.

They may yet play together for Samoa in this year’s World Cup but Papalii, who is signed to Canberra until 2016, wants Milford in lime green long term.

‘‘He’s talking about moving his family down and hopefully he does, hopefully we can become Raiders forever,’’ he said.

‘‘Tony’s going pretty well, it’s very important to stay grounds and work on the things he needs to.

‘‘Hopefully he has a long career at the Raiders, but first and foremost we have to take care of family.’’

Despite growing up on their doorstep, Milford said the intense battle for Brisbane Broncos scholarships convinced him to take a different path.

‘‘Growing up I stayed away from them, I knew they had a lot of kids in my age group,’’ he said.

‘‘They’ve got too many players and when you’re young, it’s hard to crack.’’

Raiders skipper Terry Campese said it is vital the sides gives Papalii and Milford as many chances as possible to tear defensive lines apart.

‘‘As a team we have to learn to give Papa better opportunities one on one, and same with Tony,’’ he said.

‘‘You saw with Tony’s try if we get him one on one, he can’t be touched.’’

Canberra coach David Furner was straight to the point when asked about Milford’s moment of class.

‘‘I was certainly riding him home from that scrum, that’s for sure,’’ he said.

CANBERRA RAIDERS 26 (J McCrone, A Milford, J Papalii, S Sauiluma tries; J Croker 5 goals) bt NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS 18 (R Lui, J Thurston, A Winterstein tries; J Thurston 3 goals) at Canberra Stadium. Referees: Gavin Morris, Jason Robinson. Crowd: 10,515.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/milford-wants-to-make-canberra-home-20130707-2pjum.html#ixzz2YReQHtXo

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »

AFTER yet another question was fired at Canberra coach David Furner yesterday about the performance of Anthony Milford, captain Terry Campese couldn't help but interrupt.

"You got a crush on Tone, do you?" he asked to much laughter.

Campese never got an answer, but the Raiders should be in love with Milford too after his man-of-the-match effort against North Queensland at Canberra Stadium yesterday. With the Raiders struggling to field a competitive backline -- Blake Ferguson is suspended over his indecent assault charge while Jack Wighton, Sandor Earl and Edrick Lee are all out injured -- Furner was forced to reshuffle his troops.

Backrower Joel Thompson was put back in the centres, Sami Sauiluma to the wing, regular fullback Reece Robinson to the other wing while boom youngster Milford, 19, was promoted to the starting side for the first time in the No 1 jumper. He tormented the Cowboys with every touch and defused every high ball Johnathan Thurston sent his way.

By the end of the game Milford had managed 11 runs for 152m but crucially came up with the match-winning play in the 74th minute after he peeled off the back of a scrum and stepped his way past Robert Lui to score a 50m try. It was enough to put the game beyond the Cowboys' reach.

"Tony at fullback certainly is dangerous and he handled those high balls quite well and put his body on the line," Furner said.

"We've got a few X-factors but you've got to give them the opportunity there to display it."

Others shone too. Prop David Shillington was recently spurned by Queensland for game two of the State of Origin series and made sure the Cowboys' frontrow combination of Maroons Matt Scott and NSW's James Tamou felt his wrath. He managed 17 runs for 174m as well as 24 tackles.

Backrower Josh Papalii was another standout. He showed remarkable skill -- and nimble feet -- in the 23rd minute to evade the Cowboys' defence and score next to the posts. It was part of a first-half blitz from the Raiders. They led 18-0 lead at the half and establish a stranglehold on the match.

That point wasn't lost on Cowboys coach Neil Henry, who desperately needed a win to alleviate the pressure he faces in Townsville. Instead the Cowboys now languish in 12th spot and things only get harder next round when they take on Manly in Townsville without their Origin stars.

"It's disappointing that they could come in at 18 but we were certainly out enthused early," Henry said. "They were full of running. It was a fair bit to peg back.

"When Milford goes through on the scrum . . . once they got that try the game was over."

The match had just as much importance for the Raiders, who are guaranteed another two points next round with the bye. Yesterday's win continues their imposing record at home -- they have won 11 straight -- which they hope to capitalise on with their run home to the finals, including another five matches at Canberra Stadium.

While Furner hopes to welcome back some troops for their next match against Parramatta following the bye -- Wighton and prop Brett White are expected back from injury -- forward Sam Mataora could be missing after he was placed on report yesterday for a high shot on Cowboys Dallas Johnson.

Canberra 26 d North Queensland 18

Source: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/milford-sounds-warning-to-raiders-rivals/story-fnca0von-1226675639675

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
Milford's rise gives Raiders new option

He's been dubbed a Ben Barba clone because of his similar speed, spark and size, and the Canberra Raiders hope Anthony Milford can give the Raiders a comparable X-factor at fullback.

Milford was thrust into the role virtually by necessity in Sunday's win over North Queensland, but the Raiders are considering alternating him in the No.1 position with Reece Robinson for the rest of the year.

The pint-sized 18-year-old switched between wing and fullback with Robinson against the Cowboys, and justified the move with a superb display.

His first 80-minute performance in the NRL was highlighted by a brilliant long-range solo try, which wrapped up a vital Raiders win.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/milfords-rise-gives-raiders-new-option-20130709-2poj7.html#ixzz2Ycv010Pl

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »
Tony Milford goes back to school

His electric performances for the Raiders in his debut year have launched him onto the cover of Big League for this week, but rising star Anthony Milford certainly hasn’t forgotten where he came from.

Yesterday, Milford went back to his old primary school, St Marks in Brisbane, to talk to the students about aiming high, not just in terms of rugby league but in general life.

After observing how well Milford has done in his debut year for the Raiders and the humility with which he has handled his rise to fame, the Principle of St Marks got in contact with Milford’s Aunty to see if he would be interested in speaking to the students.

With the Raiders scheduled with the bye this weekend, Milford jumped at the opportunity to provide a positive impact to his old school as he returned to Brisbane for a few days of well-earned rest.

“The Principle from St Marks called one of my Aunties to see if I’d be interested in having a chat to the students and I said yes straight away,” Milford enthused.

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/raiders/79214

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 06:10:42 PM »
Stuart lauds livewire Milford

Julia Gillard has already been evicted, and Parramatta coach Ricky Stuart joked the Canberra Raiders could do worse than give her keys to The Lodge to Anthony Milford.

Despite his side's eighth straight loss at Canberra Stadium on Saturday, Stuart reserved lavish praise for the star Raiders rookie, again outstanding in a 14-0 win.

The Raiders' greatest halfback urged the club to do everything possible to lock up Milford long term. Even if it means putting him up in the prime ministerial abode.

''Is Kevin Rudd still renting over at Yarralumla, because I'd be buying The Lodge and giving it to young Milford to keep him here,'' Stuart said. ''He is a player.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/stuart-lauds-livewire-milford-20130721-2qck2.html#ixzz2ZlAY8xeM

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 10:52:57 PM »
Milford not right fit for Broncos: mentor

The man who discovered Anthony Milford believes Brisbane would be throwing the Canberra Raiders rookie to the wolves if they expect him to be their playmaking saviour next season.

Despite being contracted to the Raiders until the end of 2014, reports on Sunday suggested a family illness get-out clause in his contract could allow him to play halfback at the Broncos next year.

In a promising sign for the Raiders, Milford posted on his instagram account on Sunday night: ‘‘Don’t believe everything you hear. Real eyes. Realise, real lies’’.

The 19-year-old’s explosive displays at fullback for Canberra have sparked comparisons with Canterbury star Ben Barba, also a Broncos recruiting target.

But Canberra’s Souths-Logan-based scout Brian Edwards insists it is beyond expectations to ask a teenager to handle the pressure of wearing the No.7 jersey for one of the NRL’s highest-profile clubs.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/milford-not-right-fit-for-broncos-mentor-20130728-2qst1.html#ixzz2aLOdOm3E

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 10:24:33 PM »
Milford staying, says Raiders coach

Canberra Raiders coach David Furner has dismissed speculation linking Anthony Milford to a move to Brisbane next year, insisting the rookie sensation is going nowhere.

Concerned the rumours could prove a distraction, Furner declared Brisbane junior Milford is happy at Canberra, and rejected reports homesickness could lure him to the Broncos.

The 19-year-old is contracted with Canberra until the end of next year, but reports on Sunday suggested a family illness get-out clause relating to his father could allow him to play at Brisbane next year. Fairfax Media understands the clause can be activated only with the consent of both parties, and Milford has told the Raiders he wants to stay.

It was suggested Milford had been targeted to play halfback at Brisbane, despite playing less than six hours of NRL in the halves.

He has been outstanding in Canberra's last three games at fullback, and has showed no signs he's unsettled.

''I know he wants to stay here and that's good enough for me,'' Furner said on Monday.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/milford-staying-says-raiders-coach-20130729-2qv9r.html#ixzz2aR7ltxaq

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 04:06:17 PM »
Raiders rookie Anthony Milford speaks to the media about his recent good form and his future with the Green Machine.

Watch video: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/raiders/80617

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 02:20:21 PM »
Milford at home with Raiders

Canberra rookie Anthony Milford intends to resist overtures from Brisbane and remain at the Raiders next year, insisting the capital feels like home.

Reports over the weekend suggested the Brisbane-raised teenager would link with the Broncos next year, despite being contracted to Canberra for 2014.

Milford suffered from homesickness when he first joined the Raiders two years ago, but he is far more settled after making his NRL debut this season.

Reports on Sunday suggested the 19-year-old could activate a family illness get-out clause relating to his father, which could allow him to play at Brisbane next year. But Fairfax Media understands the clause can be activated only with the consent of both parties.

Raiders coach David Furner was adamant on Monday that Milford was happy, and insisted the club would not release him even if he wanted to leave. Legal advice sought by Raiders officials has confirmed the clause is watertight, and they have contacted the Broncos to make it clear Milford isn't going anywhere.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/milford-at-home-with-raiders-20130730-2qxn1.html#ixzz2aarMlMGZ