Topic: Anthony Milford  

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Anthony Milford
« on: April 16, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »
Milford 'next Canberra star'

Canberra Raiders' SG Ball coach Peter Marrapodi believes halfback Anthony Milford will be one of the next players from the Souths Logan nursery to emerge as a star.

Milford has been outstanding for the Raiders in the under-18 competition, and is one of the main reasons why Canberra has qualified for the finals.

Read More: The Canberra Times

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Anthony Milford
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:29:34 PM »
Marshall 'clone' one to watch

Imagine if Queensland had the luxury of including Benji Marshall in their record-breaking State of Origin side?

For a glimpse of what the Maroons would be like with Marshall pulling the strings, then just watch Canberra Raiders halfback Anthony Milford in action in the under-18 curtain-raiser to Origin II at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday night.

The 18-year-old was one of five Raiders juniors named in the Queensland under-18s extended squad, along with fullback Jono Kent, centre Brenko Lee and second-rowers Patrick Mago and Scott Doyle, who was 18th man.

Mago fractured his fibula playing for Yass against Woden Valley in the Canberra Raiders Cup two weekends ago and will miss six weeks, bringing Doyle into the side.

Lee is the cousin of Raiders winger Edrick Lee.

Milford was an integral part of the Raiders' charge towards the SG Ball grand final and recently made his Toyota Cup debut.

The humble youngster wouldn't dream of comparing himself to the New Zealand captain but admits Marshall is someone he's modelled his game on.

And his coach and teammates say the resemblance is uncanny, with Raiders Toyota Cup coach Andrew Dunemann calling his young charge a Marshall ''clone''.

''The way he plays [is similar] - great feet, off-the-cuff sort of stuff and he's just really talented. He's got some good skills the boy,'' Dunemann said.

''He's only 18 so he's got a long way to go, but you'd rather have him at your club than at someone else's.''

The Raiders are so keen to keep him they've commenced contract discussions to extend his current contract beyond the end of 2013, when it is due to expire.

Kent said his teammate was too humble to make the link himself but Milford's growing highlight reel spoke for itself.

''You can just get their game tapes together and have a look, you'll see the similarities - the same sort of dummy and step. He's got skills Tony, he's got skills,'' Kent said.

Kent is making his Origin debut, while the other four have all played for Queensland at various age groups. All five boys were recruited from Souths Logan Magpies - the Raiders' former affiliate in the Queensland Cup.

While the Raiders send their extended squad to Souths, the ties are clearly still strong between the clubs and Dunemann was expecting that to continue.

''I think it always will. Obviously with Mal [Meninga] from there and other past greats, there will always be a connection there even though it can't be what it used to be through red tape,'' he said. ''It's just proof they've got a great recruitment officer up there, Brian Edwards.''

Source: The SMH

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 10:27:47 AM »
Milford's the centre of attention as U20s romp past North Queensland

TALENTED teenager Anthony Milford further enhanced his growing reputation with a superb three-try performance in Canberra's 38-22 win over North Queensland in the under-20s clash in Townsville yesterday.

On a high after being named the club's SG Ball player of the year earlier this week, regular Raiders halfback Milford ran the Cowboys ragged at left centre.

The 18-year-old's style has been likened to Benji Marshall and Shaun Johnson, and his speed and footwork threatened the Cowboys throughout the match.

After re-signing Toyota Cup halfback Mitch Cornish until 2015 recently, Canberra is keen to lock up Milford beyond his current deal which expires at the end of next year.

Up against the slumping Cowboys, the second-placed Raiders looked poised for another easy win when they crossed for two early tries to take an 8-0 lead.

But helped by some sloppy Raiders errors in the humid conditions, the hosts took an 18-16 advantage early in the second half through a try to fullback Zac Santo.

But led by fine games from Cornish and Jack Ahearn, the Raiders pulled away late in the game to secure their 11th win in 14 matches.

Despite the comfortable scoreline, it was far from Canberra's most convincing performance.

They completed just 68 per cent of their sets, but cleaned up well in defence and only missed six tackles.

Raiders lock Hayden Crockett put together another hard-working effort with 37 tackles and 88 metres, while second-rower Michael Chee Kam (107m) and interchange forward Peter Irwin (107m) were also strong.

AT A GLANCE

Toyota Cup Round 16:
CANBERRA RAIDERS 38 (Anthony Milford 3, Mitch Cornish 2, Jonathon Reuben, Jeff Lynch, Matt Allwood tries; Cornish 3 goals) bt NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS 22 (Luke Abdul-Rahman, Brady Williams, Francis Veukiso, Zac Santo, Rogan Dean tries; Sam Foster goal) at Dairy Farmers Stadium yesterday.

Source: The SMH

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 10:58:59 AM »
This kid is a real star in the making. Great footwork! One to watch for sure.

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 12:19:26 PM »
NZ will not let Milford slip through its fingers

Anthony Milford could be the next player caught in a tug-of-war between Australia and New Zealand, with the Canberra Raiders whiz kid set to earn selection for the Junior Kiwis next month.

Despite starring for the Queensland under-18s this year, The Canberra Times has learned Milford is almost certain to be named for the Junior Kiwis against the Junior Kangaroos at Townsville on October 13.

The 18-year-old guided the Raiders to the SG Ball grand final this year, and has since graduated seamlessly to the club's Toyota Cup side.

His footwork and speed has drawn comparisons to a young Benji Marshall, and he is set to be fast-tracked into New Zealand's side to help keep Queensland at bay.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nz-will-not-let-milford-slip-through-its-fingers-20120913-25v9c.html#ixzz26PGbfc1u

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »
Tell you what, as a Blues supporter I hope to hell that NZ can snap him up and make him a Kiwi! The LAST thing NSW need right now is to have to play against a freak like Milford in the future.

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 03:29:03 PM »
Papalii helping Milford find feet in Canberra

Canberra whiz kid Anthony Milford was once so crippled by homesickness, he seriously considered heading back to Brisbane.

But the Raiders are banking on the club's ''Polynesian brotherhood'' to help them re-sign the 18-year-old to a long-term deal.

The playmaker now feels more at home in the capital thanks to star Raiders second-rower Josh Papalii.

Souths Logan junior Papalii has been in Milford's shoes, and has taken him under his wing to help him adjust to his new surroundings.
Advertisement

Both players are off contract at the end of next year and Papalii's signature could see Milford follow suit.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/papalii-helping-milford-find-feet-in-canberra-20120921-26cbz.html#ixzz27Ao1D5J5

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »
Canberra Raiders young gun Anthony Milford joins hitman Josh Papalii in wanting to play State of Origin for Maroons

Milford, a rookie rugby league five-eighth who will play for the Raiders against Wests Tigers in Sunday's under-20s grand final in Sydney, was odds-on to be selected for the Junior Kiwis in a one-off Test in Townsville in October.

But like NRL impact forward and Logan Brothers old boy Papalii, Milford now aspires to represent Queensland at State of Origin level.

Full story on Josh Papalii's decision, see The Courier-Mail.

"Everyone's goal seems to be to play NRL. I just want to play for Queensland,'' said Milford, a Souths-Logan junior.

Queensland's gain was highlighted on Saturday night when the young gun produced a kicking master class a haul which included six goals and a try in Canberra's 44-16 thrashing of St George Illawarra in the Toyota Cup preliminary final.

"I was raised and have lived my whole life in Queensland,'' Milford said when asked why he chose Queensland over New Zealand.

"I've only been to New Zealand a few times.''

The Toyota Cup grand final kicks off at 2pm Sunday

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/logan/canberra-raiders-young-gun-anthony-milford-joins-hitman-josh-papalii-in-wanting-to-play-state-of-origin-for-maroons/story-fn8m0u8i-1226480737072

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »

The Canberra Raiders have received a boost to start the 2013 pre-season, with promising junior talent Anthony Milford agreeing to a contract extension which will see him at the club until the end of 2014.

Milford, 18, had a stellar season for the Raiders Toyota Cup team in 2012 after starting the season playing for the clubs SG Ball team and was instrumental in guiding both of the Raiders junior teams to Grand Final appearances.

As a reward for his performances in the Raiders junior grades in 2012 Milford has been invited to start the pre-season with the top squad and will work alongside Raiders halves Terry Campese, Sam Williams, Josh McCrone, Michael Picker and fellow under 20’s star Mitch Cornish.

Milford said he’s excited about the chance to train with the Raiders top squad over the pre-season and hoped he could get his chance at NRL level at some stage in 2013.

“I’m really looking forward to training with the NRL boys over the pre-season and I can’t wait to learn plenty of the senior players and the coaches,” Milford said.

"It’s every players dream to play in the NRL and if I work hard I hope I can get a chance at some stage. It was great to see guys like Jack Wighton and Edrick Lee play NRL last year and it shows that you can get a chance here at the Raiders if you have the right attitude.”

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the extension of Milford’s contract was a boost for the club and said he hoped he could make it through to the next stage of his career.

“Anthony is a very talented player who we’ve been watching for quite some time now and this extension of his contract shows the faith we have in him rising to new challenges,” Furner said. “The next stage of his development is having a chance to train with the top squad and we’re excited about his future with the club.”

Source: Raiders Press Release

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 11:22:59 AM »
Milford to keep firing for Raiders for extra year

The Canberra Raiders have extended the contract of young gun Anthony Milford until the end of 2014.

Milford still had a year left on his deal as a junior Raider, but the halfback is rated so highly the club was desperate to keep him in the capital for at least another two seasons.

The teenager started the year in Canberra's SG Ball team and helped it into the grand final with a last-second field goal.

He was then promoted to the Raiders' under-20s team and again proved his worth with another field goal to lift the team to victory in the semi-final at Canberra Stadium.

Milford was being pursued by the Brisbane Broncos.

The 18-year-old is a Queensland junior and there was a time he was so homesick he considered returning to Brisbane.

However, Raiders second-rower Josh Papalii has helped Milford settle in the capital and he has committed to remaining with the Green Machine until he graduates from the under-20s ranks.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canberra-raiders/milford-to-keep-firing-for-raiders-for-extra-year-20121113-2998g.html#ixzz2C3cemW7i

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
Great stuff Raiders! Special player we have here. Cant wait to watch him in the Toyota Cup again and I don't think a shot at NRL would be too far away either, but no need to rush that he is still very young.

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 12:54:47 PM »
Raiders to throw teenager into deep end

The Canberra Raiders will throw Anthony Milford into a physical initiation against men 10 years older and 30 kilograms heavier to see if the teenager is ready to make a stunning rise into the NRL.

Despite being homesick and chased by the Brisbane Broncos, Milford on Tuesday extended his contract with the Raiders and will remain with the Green Machine until at least the end of 2014.

The 18-year-old completed a superb 12 months by leading the Raiders’ S.G. Ball and under-20s teams into their respective grand finals.

Anthony Milford showing his skills in the Toyota Cup preliminary final against St George Illawarra. Photo: Chris Lane

Milford has been touted as a future superstar and likened to Benji Marshall,  with coach David Furner declaring he has ‘‘the best footwork’’ at the Raiders.

Now the NRL coach wants to test Milford’s booming talent in the top squad.

Furner has no doubt Milford will be able to make the transition to first grade. But how he handles training against men will determine the time frame.

‘‘It’s a tough pre-season when you make the step up ... Tony certainly has first grade ahead of him, but when just depends on his development,’’ Furner said.

‘‘He’s got tremendous footwork and probably the best footwork at the club.

‘‘Pre-season will tell you a lot. When you do the opposed session, you can see if  they can handle that environment. It’s about fast-tracking them.’’

Milford was toying with the idea of returning to Brisbane after getting homesick in Canberra.

But it is understood one of the incentives to remain with the Raiders was a chance to do pre-season training with the NRL team, despite having another two years left in the under-20s.

His speed and elusive footwork saw him emerge as a star of the future for the junior Raiders teams.

Milford also caught the eye of representative selectors and the junior Kiwis were poised to select him before he pledged his commitment to Queensland.

And while he admitted the opportunity to return home was enticing, Milford said he wanted to make Canberra his long-term home.

‘‘It was pretty tough [to make a decision], but sacrifices had to be made,’’ Milford said.

‘‘I’ve had a lot of great help [in Canberra] ... I made the decision based on family.

‘‘I struggled this year [with homesickness], but I got through it and I’m happy to be here.’’

With Milford’s deal finalised, the Raiders will turn their focus to Josh Papalii’s upgrade for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

However, uncertainty over the NRL salary cap is delaying the progression of contract talks.

Papalii has declared his desire to remain in the capital and the club is confident it will be able to secure his signature when salary cap details are released.

The Raiders returned for pre-season training last week, but veteran Shaun Berrigan was a notable absentee.

Berrigan is refusing to sign a deal to play on for another season until the salary cap is finalised.

Until then, he will train by himself in Queensland but Furner is confident a contract can be sorted in the coming weeks.

The Raiders will be boosted by the return of skipper Terry Campese next season. He has missed the majority of the past two years with injuries, but Furner said he had no plans to take the captaincy duties away from the playmaker in an attempt to lighten his workload.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/raiders-to-throw-teenager-into-deep-end-20121113-2998g.html#ixzz2CFh5shC6

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »
Raiders look for other options

Canberra whiz kid Anthony Milford could make his first-grade debut against the Sydney Roosters at Canberra Stadium on Sunday night.

Fairfax Media understands Milford may come into consideration for a bench spot for Sunday night's crucial home clash against the Roosters.

Canberra picked up a host of injuries in Sunday night's 28-12 loss at Newcastle, and form concerns over some players means coach David Furner has some tough decisions to make.

Unhappy with the performance of halves Sam Williams and Josh McCrone, he will watch video of the Raiders under-20s and feeder club Mounties as he looks to settle on a side capable of dragging Canberra off the bottom of the ladder.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/raiders-look-for-other-options-20130401-2h3ej.html#ixzz2PDfLIOvG

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 02:46:12 PM »
Milford ready to step up

JUST as Dally M medallist Ben Barba found his niche with the No.1 on his back, Raiders young gun Anthony Milford has discovered fullback is the perfect place to unleash his creative instinct.

Having led the Raiders' under- 18s and under-20s to their respective grand finals last year, the 18-year-old is set to make his debut from the bench against the Sydney Roosters on Sunday.

After playing predominantly in the halves last season, Milford's successful switch to fullback has mirrored the transition Barba made at the Bulldogs. Barba made his debut for the Bulldogs at age 19 in 2008 off the bench, shifting between dummy half and the halves in an impact role. For the next three seasons he alternated between halfback, five-eighth, centres and fullback, before cementing himself as the club's first-choice No.1 in 2011.

Milford is four centimetres taller than Barba (178cm to 174cm), six kilograms lighter (84kg to 90kg) and both are from Queensland. They both have dazzling footwork and the ability to create something out of nothing. They are exciting traits that the Raiders' high-performance and recruitment manager David Hamilton wants Milford to have the opportunity to express.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/milford-ready-to-step-up-20130406-2he1v.html#ixzz2PkGWRKp0

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 02:41:40 PM »

COMPARED to Johnathan Thurston at a young age, 18-year-old Ipswich league prodigy Tony Milford went a step closer to fulfilling the prophecy on Sunday.

Milford made his National Rugby League debut for the Canberra Raiders in their come-from-behind win over the Roosters in Canberra.

The Raiders won 24-22 after trailing 16-0 at halftime.

Contributing to the win was Milford, who played five-eighth when starting hooker Matt McIlwrick was given a break, with starting five-eighth Josh McCrone moving to dummy half.

One keen observer was Milford's former high school coach at St Peter Claver College, Todd Riggs.

"He did his job," Riggs said.

"They obviously had a pretty set plan for him when he was on.

"They didn't go down his edge a whole heap.

"They went down (halfback) Sam Williams' edge and went really well."

Riggs doesn't believe Milford's best long-term position is in the halves, despite the comparisons to Thurston.

Milford's manager Sam Ayoub, who also manages Thurston, said Milford was "very similar" to Thurston at the same age.

"He's the most promising halfback I've seen in the past seven years," Ayoub told the QT in 2010.

"He's like Johnathan was at 16.

"They are very similar in how they play the game and how much raw talent they have."

But Riggs thinks the Riverview product is more suited to fullback.

"He's more of a Ben Barba-type player than a half," Riggs said of the 178cm, 85kg Milford.

Riggs believes Milford was given the five-eighth role on Sunday more as an opportunity to blood him in the top grade than any serious indication of where the Raiders will play him in the long term.

"It's the same progression as when he started playing under-20s," Riggs said.

"He played 20s when he was 17.

"It's the same thing.

"They want to give him the experience to see how he would handle it.

It will prove a valuable lesson for the youngster, Riggs believes.

"He learnt some things he will have to do to survive in the long term," Milford's former mentor said.

"There was probably stuff that he can get away with in the under-20s that won't fly in the NRL. He almost set up a try but couldn't get outside James Maloney, who defended well against him.

"There were a couple of tiny mistakes you probably don't notice at under-20 level. But what a great experience for him."

If there is one thing that has Riggs convinced Milford can make it in the NRL, it is his competitive nature which was evident on Sunday. "What stood out was how energetic and enthusiastic he was," Riggs said.

"Every time someone pushed up with the ball his way, he was there pushing for support.

"He's got great footwork and speed but it's his desire to compete which can push him to be a regular NRL player."

Source: http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/young-milford-reveals-class/1821715/