Topic: David Shillington  

Renee

• Jason Croker
    • RNA
Re: Shillo named as black dog ambassador
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »
Shillington gunning for Test jersey

Shillington gunning for Test jersey

David Shillington's third Prime Minister's XIII appearance will be his most important because a berth in Australia's Four Nations squad hangs in the balance.

The 28-year-old front-rower was one of two Canberra Raiders players named yesterday in the Prime Minister's XIII team - made up of Australian NRL players whose clubs are not still in the finals - to face Papua New Guinea in Lae on September25.

Source: canberratimes.com.au

pocket rocket

• John Ferguson
Re: Shillo named as black dog ambassador
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »
Not really sure he has done enough to get back in the Roos, but hey Im not complaining! Go Shillo! Makes it more worth watching when there is Raiders in it. Then wont feel like supporting NZ because of Pap and Harrison.

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Shillo ready to play Four Nations
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »
Sea Eagles rewarded in Kangaroos selection for Four Nations

MANLY's NRL grand final-winning brothers duo of Glenn and Brett Stewart may finally play for Australia together.

The pair were selected today in the Kangaroos squad for the Four Nations tournament in the UK later this month.

The Stewart were named in the Test squad after the 2008 grand final win by Manly but Brett had to withdraw with a shoulder injury.

Brett made his Test debut first under then coach Ricky Stuart back in 2007 while Glenn has played five Tests between 2008 and 2010.

But the backrower who won the Clive Churchill Medal in last night’s grand final, was absent from the Kangaroos line-up in the May Anzac Test against New Zealand on the Gold Coast.

The other welcome news for the Sea Eagles, as they celebrate their eighth premiership today after beating the Warriors 24-10 last night, was the inclusion of 22-year-old halfback Daly Cherry-Evans in the 24-man squad.

Cherry-Evans is a cover for regular Test halves Johnathan Thurston, who is still recouperating from a knee injury, and Darren Lockyer, who has three metal plates in his left cheekbone.

Manly has five players all up in the Kangaroos squad – the Stewart brothers, Cherry-Evans, another first timer in Tony Williams and regular Test backrower Anthony Watmough.

Cherry-Evans and Williams are among six new faces selected in the 24-man squad with the others being Corey Parker, David Taylor, Keith Galloway and Akuila Uate.

Some notable absences include Broncos duo of centre Justin Hodges and prop Ben Hannant, who both played in the May Test.

Cronulla front rower Kade Snowden, who was brought into the May Test for the injured Dave Shillington (Canberra), is now himself injury and the Raiders prop is back in the squad.

Greg Inglis (ankle) has been named subject to a fitness test with coach Tim Sheens admitted today he is the player most in doubt.

St George Illawarra Dragons, premiers just 12 months ago and who had eight players involved in this year’s Origin series, has only one member in the Test squad named today – fullback Darius Boyd – and he is leaving for the Knights next year.

The Sea Eagles were the best represented squad in a reflection of their successful season – their third grand final appearance in five seasons.

Brisbane was the next best with four players. Lockyer told `The Australian’ last week he had been cleared by surgeons to play the October 16 Test against New Zealand in Newcastle.

The 17 players for that match – Lockyer’s 56th Test and last on Australian spoil – will be named on Friday.

The Kangaroos leave for the United Kingdom on October 21 for the Four Nations against the Kiwis, England and Wales. New Zealand is reigning Four Nations champions.

Kangaroos: Darius Boyd, Daly Cherry-Evans, Cooper Cronk, Robbie Farah, Paul Gallen, Keith Galloway, Greg Inglis, Chris Lawrence, Luke Lewis, Darren Lockyer, Corey Parker, Matt Scott, David Shillington, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Dave Taylor, Sam Thaiday, Johnathan Thurston, Akuila Uate, Anthony Watmough, Tony Williams, Jharal Yow Yeh

Source: The Australian

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »
Shillington to line up for Kangaroos

Front-rower David Shillington is the only Canberra Raider in Australia’s squad to play in the Four Nations tournament in the United Kingdom this month.

Coach Tim Sheens named a 24-man squad this morning with the Kangaroos to play New Zealand in Newcastle on October 16 before flying to Europe on October 21.

Source: The Canberra Times

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 03:19:23 PM »
RaidersCanberra: Congratulations to David Shillington on his selection in the Australian Four Nation's squad!
3 October 2011, 1:16 pm

RaidersCanberra: Congratulations to David Shillington on his selection in the Australian Four Nation's squad!

Source: Twitter / RaidersCanberra

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »
Well done big Shillo! Great to have one of the boys to cheer for in the 4Ns.  :great:

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Big Dave Shillo gets Australia rep call up
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 01:02:51 PM »
Shillington selected for test Match

Canberra Raiders prop David Shillington has been selected in the Kangaroos team for the test against New Zealand in Newcastle next Sunday afternoon.

Australian Coach Tim Sheens has named the side to take on New Zealand at Newcastle’s Augrid Stadium on Sunday, October 16.

Paul Gallen has been named to start at prop, while Keith Galloway, Akuila Uate and Tony Williams will make their debut for the Kangaroos.

Greg Inglis has been ruled out of the match with an ankle injury. Willie Tonga will start in the centres after coming into Australia's Four Nations squad for Brett Stewart, who has withdrawn from the upcoming tournament through injury.

Kangaroos side to take on New Zealand at Ausgrid Stadium

1. Billy Slater
2. Akuila Uate
3. Willie Tonga
4. Chris Lawrence
5. Darius Boyd
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Paul Gallen
9. Cameron Smith
10. Matt Scott
11. Luke Lewis
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Anthony Watmough
Interchange:
14. Cooper Cronk
15. Keith Galloway
16. David Shillington
17. Tony Williams

Source: Raiders.com.au

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 01:04:11 PM »
Makes the internationals much more worth watching when we have a player or two in there. Well done big Shillo and to our Kiwis also  :great:

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
    • Raidercast
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 12:58:38 PM »
Davd Shillington shared a room with cause of 2011 frustration Keith Galloway

SLEEPING with the enemy has taken on new meaning for Australian Kangaroos giant David Shillington this week.

David Shillington in action for the Canberra Raiders. Source: The Courier-Mail

Shillington endured a frustrating 2011 that was wrecked by a torn pectoral muscle, ruling him out of the Anzac Test and Queensland's State of Origin series victory.

Now the giant Canberra Raiders prop has to share a room with the man who caused it, Wests Tigers enforcer Keith Galloway.

"Keith reminded me this week that he was the one who got me," Shillington said yesterday.

"It was in round 3 and near the end of the match I tried to put a big shot on Keithy and it didn't work. I felt the pec muscle go and that was the start of a frustrating year.

"I was coming off a high in 2010. I was fortunate to make most of the rep teams and the Raiders made the finals as well so this year was a let down for me."

The 28-year-old's year drastically improved when he was a surprise selection for the Four Nations tour of the United Kingdom.

Shillington said it was a thrill to hear his name read out.

"You never take an Australian jersey for granted, but I was hopeful (of selection)," he said.

"I felt I had done the job in the past and Sheensy (coach Tim Sheens) is big on rewarding those who have performed well before.

"I've just got to back that up now. You're only as good as your last game."

Shillington is part of an intimidating Kangaroos forward pack that will confront the New Zealand Kiwis on Sunday in Newcastle in a pre-Four Nations Test.

Shillington will be on the bench alongside his roomie Galloway while Cronulla Sharks captain Paul Gallen and NQ Cowboys prop Matt Scott start in the front-row.

Shillington said the Kiwis' pack was the best they had fielded in years and agreed with coach Sheens that the clash would have State of Origin intensity.

"I reckon it's the best pack I've seen from them in a long time," he said.

"Fui's in there and he's always hard to handle. He's got good footwork at the line and a lot of power.

"I think it will be a great battle in the middle."

This will be Shillington's second UK tour with the Kangaroos.

He was a member of the 2009 squad which took home the trophy, beating England in the final.

Like for that tour, Shillington will be joined in Britain by his parents.

"They're coming along again and I'll be staying back after so me and the folks can see Germany," Shillington said.

Source: The Courier Mail

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 10:12:43 PM »
Shillo to show he's a true-blue Roo

DAVID SHILLINGTON is well aware he could be a casualty of Tim Sheens's ruthless selection policy if the Kangaroos fail to beat New Zealand today.

Canberra's lone representative will come off the bench for Australia in the stand-alone international at Newcastle's Ausgrid Stadium.

Some people thought the 28-year-old enforcer was fortunate to be selected, as he missed a chunk of the NRL season with not one but two torn pectoral muscles.

But with several front-rowers on the sidelines, the Raiders prop kept his place after an impressive hit-out for the Prime Minister's XIII against Papua New Guinea last month.

Shillington is keen to justify the faith shown in him and secure his place for the Four Nations tour of England - and the best way to do that is for the Kangaroos to beat New Zealand, the reigning Four Nation ' and World Cup title holders.

''Sheensy's pretty clear that every game is picked by itself,'' Shillington said. ''No players are guaranteed a spot. One bad game [and] you might not play the rest of the tour.

''There's a fair bit of pressure on you, but you just have to accept that - have a good performance, win, and hopefully play the whole tour.''

Sheens has chosen a mix of size and mobility in his front-row rotation. Shillington (111 kilograms) and Wests Tigers giant Keith Galloway (107kg) provide the muscle off the bench, while Sharks captain Paul Gallen (104kg) has been moved from his usual lock position after a role upfront worked wonders in the State of Origin.

The NSW hard man delivered one of the most inspirational performances in Origin, playing the entire 80 minutes and leading the Blues to victory.

North Queensland's Matt Scott (105kg) is the other starting front-rower after a sensational season for the Cowboys and Queensland.

A massive New Zealand forward pack will attempt to steamroll the Kangaroos into submission. Penrith's Sam McKendry (111kg) and emerging Warriors' powerhouse Russell Packer (112kg) will lead the assault.

There's no respite when these two players get a breather, with Kiwi coach Stephen Kearney able to throw the rampaging Fuifui Moimoi (105kg), Sika Manu (108kg) and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (108kg) into the fray.

New Zealand's main threat lies in their creative little men, however. Dynamic five-eighth Benji Marshall and dummy-half Issac Luke will be given a licence to exploit any gaps in the middle as Australia's big men tire.

The Kangaroos had learnt from their mistakes in last year's Four Nations decider, Shillington said. ''I think they'll try and burn us around the ruck a little bit, get their wingers and backs in there and scoot out from dummy-half - try and burn us with pace around the middle,'' he said.

''It's what they did last year. They got us a couple of times, but we'll be ready for that this time.

''With our smaller props starting the game, they're a bit faster and will be able to handle that speed. And when me and 'Keithy' [Galloway] come on, it might slow down a little bit and we'll have to have our guard up a little.

''Hopefully we can … win the battle of the middle and give [halves Darren] Lockyer and [Johnathan] Thurston plenty of room to move and put our backs over for some tries.''

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

Territorian

• Jamaal Lolesi
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 06:02:22 PM »
he had a good game from what i saw of it. didnt catch it all but i heard rabs give him a rap which must mean something coming from rabs to a raider, he never raps us anymore.

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Big David Shillington
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »
Shillington to prove a point in Four Nations

David Shillington is determined to end a season of frustration by reasserting himself as one of the best props in the rugby league world.

The Canberra star will hope to kick-start that quest in Friday's Four Nations tournament opener against New Zealand, when he may also resume an ongoing battle with Kiwis hooker Issac Luke.

The Queensland front-rower has fought his way back into contention for a place in the Australian 17 following a strong finish to the Raiders' disappointing NRL campaign, having recovered from a twice-torn left bicep.

The injury resulted in him sitting out this year's State of Origin campaign, and although he's likely to start from the bench at the Halliwell Jones Stadium, Shillington is desperate not to come off second-best in a rivalry with Luke that dates back to last year's furious clash with the Kiwis in Auckland.

Tim Sheens' side came out on top 34-20 in that match at Eden Park, where home supporters pelted the Australian players with bottles midway through the second half, and Shillington admits it was one of the most hostile atmospheres he's experienced.

"It was pretty crazy game, I remember it well because I had a bit of push and shove with Issac Luke just before halftime, and they got a penalty kick for goal and then went straight to the sheds," Shillington said.

"I made eye contact with some of the crowd as I went off and they wanted my blood pretty bad they wanted to tear me apart."

Having enjoyed the taste of four Origins, Shillington is well qualified to compare the passion of international and state rivalries and admits he often thought players cared more about playing for Queensland or NSW than their country.

But after last year's battles with the Kiwis, he's reconsidered his opinion and predicts another fiery battle with Luke and his teammates on Friday.

"I used to wonder about the passion thing before I played for Australia and people used to talk about it a lot," the 28-year-old said.

"But last year's Four Nations, in games three and the final against New Zealand, they were really fiery sorts of games and I was in the middle of it and have to say I loved it."

Shillington is also keen to atone for an error that led to New Zealand's only try after good work from Luke in the Kangaroos' 42-6 mauling of Stephen Kearney's side in Newcastle two weeks ago.

"I really respect him as a player, he is a tough little bugger and actually burned me around the ruck in Newcastle, even though I said I wouldn't let him do it," he admitted.

"I was too open wide in defence, there was a big gap and I should have closed it, but he was quick off the blocks and although I made the tackle, he got an offload in and they scored a try.

"I won't be letting that happen this time around."

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 05:49:43 PM »
Sheens blows up over Shillington felling 'cannonball' tackle

WARRINGTON: Australia's coach Tim Sheens has taken aim at New Zealand hooker Issac Luke over a "cannonball" tackle in the Kangaroos 26-12 win at Warrington today that has left prop David Shillington with a knee injury.

Tim Sheens: A hard tackle to outlaw but everyone is talking about it. Photo: Getty Images

The incident followed a similar tackle by Luke on Sam Thaiday in the Test between the two countries in Newcastle on October 16.

Shillington will undergo an MRI scan on his knee after being felled from behind by Luke as two other New Zealand defenders held him up.

"He collapsed him from behind, hit him round the knee," Sheens said.

"It is a tackle that is controversial in Australia and certainly one we are not happy with.

"The same kid did it in Newcastle and it is a hard tackle to adjudicate on, a hard tackle to outlaw but everyone in the game over there is talking about how to get rid of it."

No action was taken against Luke by English referee Phil Bentham and Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney did not think he would face any judiciary action over the latest incident.

"If Issac goes in at the legs and two other guys are trying to pull him another way what is he supposed to do? Does he let him go?,"Kearney said.

"I couldn't see what was wrong with that. Do I tell him not to go for the legs? It didn't help that two big guys were trying to pull him another way."

Sheens said centre Willie Tonga had suspected broken ribs and utility Cooper Cronk had suffered a broken nose.

Source: SMH

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 05:51:43 PM »
Kangaroos rage over cannonball tackle

Australian coach Tim Sheens was left fuming after his prop David Shillington was left writhing in agony after Issac Luke's cannonball tackle marred the Kangaroos' 26-12 win over New Zealand in their Four Nations opener in Warrington.

Shillington looked deeply distressed and feared the worst after Luke tackled him around the legs as he was being held by Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Simon Mannering.

No action was taken against the South Sydney rake, who was put on report, but not charged, for a similar tackle on Sam Thaiday in Newcastle earlier this month.

Sheens was unhappy at the performance of English referee Phil Bentham, placing an official complaint after the game, and accused Luke of being a serial offender.

The veteran coach was nonplussed at the way Bentham controlled the speed around the ruck and called on cannonball tackles to be rubbed out of the game.

"It is the same trouble we had in Newcastle, it is a Test match we understand that, but I am still trying to work out why we were penalised around the scrum," Sheens said.

"We'll have to have an MRI on Shillington's knee, he has collapsed him from behind, the same kid did it in Newcastle, it is a hard tackle to outlaw, but it is a worry in the game."

Canberra prop Shillington has undergone two knee reconstructions, and the Queenslander was convinced he would require a third after slumping to the ground in agony.

"Footballers don't want to see those sort of tackles, our knees are vulnerable in those situations and I panicked a bit at the time," Shillington said.

"It's not a good look for the game, I've done ACL's in both knees before where I have been twisted back and it actually went through my mind again that this could be my year."

The 28-year-old said he calmed down after Kangaroos physio Tony Ayoub raced onto the field and after assessing his knee told him he had not ruptured his cruciate, but was still angry at Luke's actions after the match.

"It's hard to say that he does it deliberately, he did it against Sam Thaiday last week, and he did it again this week, and if he keeps doing it then maybe so," he said.

Kearney was less critical of Bentham and jumped to the defence of Luke.

"I watched it from the box and I am thinking to myself, if Issac goes for the legs and two other players are pulling him the other way, what is he supposed to do?

"Does he let him go? I couldn't see there was a great deal wrong with it. Do we tell players not to tackle around the legs?

"The ref and the touch judge didn't seem to have a problem with it."

Source: ABC

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 05:57:28 PM »
League: Lucky Luke likely to be let off

Australia 26 New Zealand 12

David Shillington of the Kangaroos in action with Isaac Luke of the Kiwis. Photo / Getty Images

Kiwis hooker Issac Luke is likely to escape action despite being slammed by Australia coach Tim Sheens and his players for a tackle which Kangaroos prop David Shillington feared had shattered his knee.

The Australians lined up to criticise South Sydney's Luke for what Sheens described as a "cannonball'' tackle on Canberra's Shillington 10 minutes from the end of the Kiwis' Four Nations loss this morning (NZT) at Warrington's Halliwell Jones Stadium.

"I think they need to put someone out, rub them out for a match if they want to stop it,'' said man-of-the-match Sam Thaiday. "Then the players won't do it. If they keep on brushing it aside, it's not going to stop anyone.''

Asked if he had been angered by the challenge, Shillington said "of course'' while Sheens commented: "He collapsed him from behind, he hit him hard down around the knee.''

But no player has ever been charged with a cannonball tackle in either the NRL or Super League. The incident was not placed on report and it's understood the match review committee of Jon Sharp, Graeme Sargent, Stuart Raper and Mark Harris is extremely reluctant to make an example of Luke.

Luke declined to comment but Sheens was highly critical of the tackle.

"It's a tackle that's a bit controversial in Australia,'' he said. "It's certainly one we're not very happy with. The same kid did it in Newcastle. [It's] a hard tackle to outlaw but, by the same token, it's a worry to everyone in the game. Everyone's talking about how to get rid of it.''

Shillington immediately worried about what damage had been done.

"Because it's the same movement I've done before when I've done my cruciate, I thought, `that's my season over, another year on the sidelines'. It feels good now.

"It's one of those tackles where you can't see people coming at your knees, you're trying to wrestle up top.''
Asked if he thought Luke's action was deliberate, Shillington said: ``It's hard to say. He did it the other week against Sam Thaiday. It's happened again this week. If it keeps happening, I guess so.''

Brisbane's Thaiday, who was the target of a similar tackle by Luke in the 42-6 drubbing of the Kiwis in Newcastle a fortnight ago, said: "I'm not going to bag him or come at Issac Luke but it is a dangerous tackle and you can put blokes out doing those types of things.

"We don't want it in the game. It happened to me in Newcastle. I kind of crapped my pants a little bit there. You just don't know what's going to happen. If your feet are planted on the ground, you get hit the wrong way, your knee's gone.

"We don't want someone's knee to be wrecked because of a dangerous tackle like that. It needs to be addressed now.''

Coach Stephen Kearney, happy with his side's improvement from the flogging in Newcastle a fortnight ago, defended his hooker's actions which were the major flashpoint of the match.

"If Issac goes in with the legs and two other guys are trying to pull him another way, what's he supposed to do? Does he let him go? I couldn't see there was a great deal wrong with that.

"Do we tell them not to tackle around the legs anymore? The refs didn't seem to have a problem with it. The one against Australia in Australia looked far worse than what tonight's did.''

Kiwis second-rower forward Simon Mannering said tackles like that had been going on for years, with players aiming for the legs and forcing players onto their backs.

"I don't think Issac went in with any malice at all. It's just what you're taught. Any league player will tell you you're taught to pin the legs so it's easier to get the wrestle.

"You don't want to see a player get injured, though.''

The Kiwis gave the Australians a massive fright after trailing 16-0 at halftime, with tries to Jason Nightingale and Kalifa Fai Fai Loa narrowing the margin to 16-12 by the 57th minute.

But Sheens' side went up a gear, with late tries to Darius Boyd and Akuila Uate guaranteeing a winning start to the tournament. The two teams head to London this week to play a double header at Wembley on Sunday morning (NZT), with New Zealand taking on Wales and Australia facing England.

Australia 26 (Matt Scott, Tony Williams, Johnathan Thurston, Darius Boyd, Akuila Uate tries; Thurston 3 gls) bt New Zealand 12 (Jason Nightingale, Kalifa Fai Fai Loa tries; Benji Marshall 2 gls). HT: 16-0.

- APNZ

- APNZ
By Steve Mascord for APNZ in Warrington

Source: NZ Herald