Topic: Jack Wighton  

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Jack Wighton
« on: November 03, 2011, 01:27:12 PM »
The Jack Wighton Topic

This topic contains news and comments about Raiders' next superstar in the making, Jack Wighton.

No pain, no gain for Wighton

ORANGE product Jack Wighton will begin a summer of pain today.

A rugby league star of the future, Wighton will begin training with the Canberra Raiders’ full-time NRL squad in the nation’s capital in preparation for the upcoming 2012 season.

The 18-year-old, in many ways, isn’t looking forward to it.

And with endless fitness sessions, sand dune runs, countless hours in the gym and stair climbs set to dominate his weeks leading into Christmas, who could blame him?

But, in many ways, it’s a dream come true.

Earmarked for a top grade debut in 2013, the two months Wighton is set to spend with the Green Machine’s NRL squad means he is one step closer to completing a lifelong dream - and it could mean he plays in the NRL in 2012.

“I’m training with the full-time boys until about Christmas, then I’ll go back with the under 20s boys until March,” Wighton said.

“I’ve enjoyed the (off-season) break. I’m a bit nervous about training with the big boys, though. I’m a little bit unfit at the moment.

“I haven’t set any goals yet. I’m just hoping to go through the year uninjured.”

Usually a half or five-eighth, Wighton will train in the centres for the majority of the pre-season.

It’s a position the Orange CYMS and Bloomfield Tigers junior hasn’t played a lot of, but says he is prepared to play when he runs out for the Raiders’ Toyota Cup team in his third year in the national under 20s competition.

Wighton said he would still pick the brains of first grade halves Terry Campese, Josh McCrone and Sam Williams every chance he gets.

“There’s a lot I can learn,” he said.

“I’ll always ask guys like Josh McCrone questions if I’ve got one. I’ll be training in the centres most likely, so there’s other guys I’ll learn from, too.”

The 2011 season was a breakout year for Wighton.

He captained the NSW under 18s in the curtain-raiser to game two of last season’s State of Origin in Sydney, a game they won 18-10.

And while Canberra failed to make the finals last year, he is confident they can rebuild and enjoy a strong season in 2012.

“I’m hoping we can pick it up after last year. It’d be good to make the finals,” he said.

Source: Central Western Daily

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Jack Wighton
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 11:36:24 AM »
NRL training experience to aid Wighton's Toyota Cup Campaign

Raiders fans, meet the youngest member of the fulltime first grade training squad for 2012: Jack Wighton.

At just 18 years of age, Wighton, on the back of a marvelous 2011 season in the Toyota Cup, was invited to train with the top squad and has shown great maturity and physical prowess in his efforts so far in pre season training.

Blessed with a plethora of natural attacking ability and a sublime athletic frame, Wighton impressed many astute judges in the Toyota Cup this year.

Plying his trade at either five-eighth or centre, the Orange CYMS product went on to register 15 tries, 11 try assists, 13 line breaks as well as averaging 4 tackle breaks per game.

Not one to shirk the hard work in defence either, Wighton also averaged 18 tackles per game.

In what is sure to be a scary thought for opposition teams in 2012, the former Australian Schoolboy representative believes his game has improved immensely under the expert tutelage of the Raiders NRL players and Coach David Furner.

“Pre season’s been tough. It’s been a good experience though getting to train with all the older boys in first grade and learning from them.”

“Crokes [Jarrod Croker], Campo [Terry Campese] and Joely T [Joel Thompson] have all been awesome in helping me out. At first I was a bit shy when I started but those guys really helped me out and got me talking to make me feel more comfortable and less shy. It’s been really good.”

After captaining the NSW under 18s side in the curtain raiser to Game Two in the State of Origin series this year, Wighton revealed that he plans to take on more of a leadership role next year in the Toyota Cup.

“I’m going to try and take on more of a leadership role next year in the 20s. I’m only as young as them myself but I’ll try and help them out as best I can from what I’ve learnt training with the first graders.”

Wighton has also added some bulk to his growing body over the pre season, which will make him even more of a nightmare to opposition centres when combined with his dangerous footwork, strong fend and electric speed.

“I’ve worked hard in the gym and I’ve put on a little bit more weight. I’ve increased my fitness too which has been good.”

“I’ve been working more in the centres in first grade and learning more about the little things like talking more, shape in attack and positioning.

"Centre’s probably my preferred position at the moment because it’s where I’ve been training mainly but I quite like playing five-eighth too."

“I don’t really mind where they play me in the trials I just want to have a consistently good year."

Source: Raiders.com.au

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »
Year In Review - September 2011

September 10: Wighton raids awards

ORANGE’S Jack Wighton cleans up at the Canberra Raiders awards night. He is named the club’s Toyota Cup player of the year and also takes home the Gordon McLucas Memorial Award for junior representative player of the year.

Source: The Central Western Daily

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
Wighton gets early shot to press claims
8 February 2012, 1:00 am

Boom Canberra Raiders youngster Jack Wighton has been handed an unexpected early chance to press his claims after centre Jarrod Croker was ruled out of Saturday's trial against Melbourne.

Source: The Canberra Times - Sport - Rugby League

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:54:16 AM »
Jack's chance to be centre of attention

FORMER Orange junior Jack Wighton will this Saturday stake a claim for a berth in the Canberra Raiders’ National Rugby League side for 2012.

OPPORTUNITY: Jack Wighton.

The talented back has been named in the Raiders squad to take on perennial powerhouse the Melbourne Storm in a trial match at Albury’s Lavington Sports Ground.

Wighton spent the majority of 2011 guiding the Raiders’ Toyota Cup side around the park from halfback, his skills and leadership being rewarded when he was named as captain of NSW’s under 18s side to play against Queensland.

But a brief foray into the centres last season, which reaped four tries against the Titans’ Toyota Cup side, must have caught first grade coach David Furner’s eye.

And now an injury to regular centre Jarrod Croker and Furner’s decision to switch Joel Thompson to the second row has opened the door for Wighton to make his mark.

The game will be played over four 20-minute quarters to assist players in dealing with the heat and pre-season fatigue, and word from the Raiders’ camp is that Wighton has been told by Furner to be prepared for at least an hour of game time, playing on the left side.

Thompson, whose dynamic play in the centres for the past two seasons has left some questioning the wisdom of repositioning him, has no doubts that Wighton is equipped to more than fill the hole.

“There’s definitely some great talent coming through in the centres at the Raiders. Jack Wighton is coming through and I see him as a star of the future. We’ve got big hopes for Jacko,” Thompson said .

Josh Dugan is also named in the Raiders’ 30-man squad for the trip to Albury.

Dugan’s NRL future has been the subject of intense scrutiny in recent months, with several clubs, most notably the Bulldogs, reported to have an interest in the NSW Origin fullback’s future.

Furner, while eager to retain the superstar’s services, believes Wighton and others give the Raiders the depth among their juniors to cover the potential loss of the custodian.

“We’ve got room [for Dugan in the salary cap], but if it doesn’t happen we’ll push through the kids like Sami Sauiluma, Jack Wighton and Haydon Hodge,’’ Furner said.

The Raiders kick off their 2012 NRL season against the Storm at Canberra Stadium on Saturday, March 3.

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »
Wighton’s debut has him in line for Dogs trial

ORANGE’S Jack Wighton made a strong impression during Canberra Raiders’ pre-season win over the Melbourne Storm.

The Orange CYMS junior played more than half the game as the Raiders won the NRL Community Carnival Country Challenge match 27-18 at Albury on Saturday.

Wighton stepped onto the field when Joel Thompson came off injured and the teenager impressed in the centres.

Raiders half Sam Williams said Wighton had no problems taking on the experienced Melbourne players.

“He went really well. Defensively he was solid and in attack he made a few little breaks,” Williams said.

“He’s only just turned 19, so to play against the Storm and be one of the best players out there was a really good effort.”

Williams said the win was important for the Raiders club.

“For the first game of the year, to beat Storm was great. We haven’t won a trial for four or five years but the way we played was great,” he said.

Canberra’s next trial will be against the Bulldogs at Wagga on Saturday.

Williams expected a smaller squad to be named for Saturday’s trial but said that didn’t mean Wighton, who is eligible to play Toyota Cup, would be ruled out.

“The way he played on the weekend there’s no reason he won’t be there,” Williams said.

The Bulldogs will be keen for a win on Saturday after going down to the Sydney Roosters on Sunday.

Orange product Daniel Mortimer played a key role in the Roosters’ win at Belmore Sports Ground, scoring a try.

Mortimer spent time at fullback and five-eighth during the trial and he impressed with coach Brian Smith.

“We’re still using him as utility player and he got a bit of time at 6 and 1 and did pretty good,” Smith said.

It was a special game for Mortimer who played on the ground where his father, Peter and uncles Steve and Chris, started the family dynasty with the Bulldogs.

The Roosters’ next trial will be against the Wests Tigers this Saturday.

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »
Wighton gets licence to thrill

Boom youngster Jack Wighton will be given a licence to attack when an injury-ravaged Canberra Raiders begin their Toyota Cup campaign against the Melbourne Storm today.

Wighton will line up at five-eighth after turning plenty of heads for the Raiders in the centres in their NRL trial against the Storm in Albury last month.

Read more: The Canberra Times

Renee

• Jason Croker
    • RNA
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 02:41:24 PM »
Raiders weigh up teen Wighton for possible NRL debut

The Canberra Raiders will consider handing boom youngster Jack Wighton his NRL debut if winger Reece Robinson is ruled out of Saturday's match with the Gold Coast Titans with a cheekbone injury.

Source: canberratimes.com.au

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 06:59:18 PM »
NYC: Jack Wighton has been cited for a grade two dangerous throw. Two weeks for...
5 March 2012, 2:45 pm

NYC: Jack Wighton has been cited for a grade two dangerous throw. Two weeks for an early plea, three weeks if he contests. Club to make a decision on what to do tomorrow.

Source: Canberra Raiders's Facebook Wall

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 03:26:24 PM »
Wighton's charge throws off Raiders debut

The Canberra Raiders will decide this morning whether to contest a two-game suspension against teenage sensation Jack Wighton which could deny him his NRL debut against the Gold Coast Titans on Saturday.

Scans yesterday revealed that winger Reece Robinson had suffered a depressed fracture of his cheekbone, which requires surgery to insert a metal plate and will rule him out for up to five weeks.

But the Raiders were dealt another blow yesterday afternoon, when Robinson's likely replacement, Wighton, was charged with a grade-two dangerous throw from Saturday's under 20s match.

The Canberra Times understands Raiders coach David Furner was set to thrust the former Australian schoolboys representative into the side for his NRL debut against the Titans.

But Wighton's tackle charge has left the Raiders with a selection dilemma.

Should he plead guilty to the charge, Wighton would miss two matches. That would be extended to three matches if he unsuccessfully contests it.

''We're looking at some advice about whether we can get that down-graded because he's definitely in contention for selection,'' Furner said. ''We'll decide [today] whether to contest it.''

Wighton impressed with his strong pre-season and his trial form, giving Raiders coaching staff no qualms about injecting him into the NRL.

Rugby convert Dimitri Pelo and Sammy Saulima are also in contention, but Furner will view footage of their weekend performances for feeder club Mounties before making a call on his team today.

Late recruit and former Manly winger Michael Bani is not considered fit enough, neither is Drury Low who is still recovering from a torn hamstring.

Another option is for Joel Thompson to come from the bench to the centres, with Jarrod Croker shifting to the wing.

The solution could have been much more obvious had the Raiders been able to sign veteran outside back Mitch Brown.

The Raiders had made inquiries with the Wests Tigers about signing Brown, but he yesterday linked with the Bulldogs.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 03:53:53 PM »
Wighton charges won't stop Raiders

The Canberra Raiders are set to name teenage sensation Jack Wighton in their squad for Saturday night's NRL match against the Gold Coast Titans, despite a dangerous tackle charge hanging over his head.

Fighting the charges ... teen sensation Jack Wighton is set to be named in the Raiders line up. Photo: Karleen Minney

The Raiders have signalled their intention to fight the charge at the judiciary in a bid to allow Wighton, 19, to make his NRL debut.

It is a risk for the Raiders, with Wighton facing a potential three-week suspension if he cannot get the Grade 2 dangerous tackle charge down-graded.

Wighton, originally from Orange, is a former Australian Schoolboys representative and impressed Raiders coaching staff with his elevation to the NRL training squad in the pre-season.

Raiders coach David Furner will name Wighton to replace Reece Robinson, who will miss up to five weeks of football with a depressed fracture of the cheekbone.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 02:37:57 PM »
Wighton hopes to get green light for NRL debut

The Canberra Raiders are confident teenager Jack Wighton can handle the pressure of a turbulent preparation if he is cleared by the judiciary tonight to make his NRL debut.

The Raiders will contest a grade two dangerous throw charge against Wighton, which threatens to sideline the 19-year-old for up to three games.

Read more: The Canberra Times

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 02:53:19 PM »
Wighton’s NRL debut hinges on judiciary hearing

BOOM Orange junior Jack Wighton has been named to make his National Rugby League debut for the Canberra Raiders.

A former Australian Schoolboys representative, the 19-year-old will get his first taste of the big time on the wing in the Green Machine’s clash with the Gold Coast Titans on Saturday night at Skilled Park.

However, Wighton was hit with a grade two dangerous tackle charge out of his under 20s clash with the Melbourne Storm last weekend in Canberra, which could rub the classy five-eighth out for two weeks.

The Raiders have signalled their intention to fight the charge at a judiciary hearing tonight.

If Wighton has the charge down graded, he will be free to take on the Titans.

But if the Raiders are unsuccessful in their bid to see the former CYMS and Bloomfield junior debut, Wighton could be sitting on the sidelines for three weeks.

Wighton impressed Raiders coaching staff during his elevation to the NRL squad in the pre-season.

Canberra coach David Furner named Wighton to replace injured winger Reece Robinson, who will miss up to five weeks of football with a depressed fracture of the cheekbone suffered in the Raiders’ 24-19 loss to the Storm.

Furner believes Wighton will be up to the challenge.

“He played a pretty aggressive type of football last week, so he’s earned himself an opportunity,” Furner said.

“We feel that we’ve got some grounds there that it can be downgraded. Hopefully, that does happen so he gets his debut.”

Should the appeal fail, Furner said he has a contingency plan.

“We've got Dimitri Pelo in that sort of position so there is a (Plan) B and C,” he said.

Raiders: 1 Josh Dugan, 2 Blake Ferguson, 3 Jarrod Croker, 4 Shaun Berrigan, 5 Jack Wighton, 6 Terry Campese, 7 Josh McCrone, 8 David Shillington, 9 Travis Waddell, 10 Brett White, 11 Josh Papalii, 12 Bronson Harrison, 13 Shaun Fensom. Interchange: 14 Glen Buttriss, 15 Joel Thompson, 16 Dane Tilse, 17 Trevor Thurling.

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 01:11:28 PM »
Raiders rookie cleared to make NRL debut

Canberra rookie Jack Wighton will be free to make his NRL debut on Saturday against the Gold Coast at Skilled Park after being cleared of a grade two dangerous throw charge in last week's Toyota Cup clash against Melbourne.

Wighton had his charge downgraded to a grade one offence after he was placed on report for a dangerous throw on Storm youngster Young Tonumaipea at Canberra Stadium on Saturday, and faced a one-match ban.

Wighton, who was accompanied by Raiders coach David Furner, who spoke on his behalf, will replace Reece Robinson on the wing on Saturday.

"It's unreal. I have to thank the coach and can now focus on the weekend," Wighton said following his hearing in Sydney on Wednesday.

"There's been a lot of thinking this week and now I can think just about the game.
"It is one less thing to worry about and now I can think about the Titans who were unreal last week."

Source: Yahoo

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
    • Raidercast
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 12:40:36 PM »
Raiders stars have big wraps on Jack

CANBERRA Raiders legend Alan Tongue has backed boom Orange junior Jack Wighton to make the most of his first taste of the big time.

Wighton, 19, will make his NRL debut on the wing against the Gold Coast Titans tonight, replacing Reece Robinson who is out injured for up to five weeks with a depressed fracture of the cheekbone.

The talented five-eighth has already been touted as the Raiders’ next big thing, following in the footsteps of the likes of NSW State of Origin fullback Josh Dugan.

Tongue, who played 220 games for Canberra, wasn’t shy in his praise of the game’s newest Raider.

“He’s an exciting talent this kid,” Tongue said.

“I’ve seen him play in the under 20s and he trained against the NRL squad last year, I’ve got huge raps on him.”

Wighton overcame a grade two dangerous throw charge during the week, which threatened to sideline him for two weeks.

Tongue didn’t think the judiciary hearing would hinder Wighton’s performance.
The talented five-eighth has already been touted as the Raiders’ next big thing, following in the footsteps of the likes of NSW State of Origin fullback Josh Dugan.

Tongue, who played 220 games for Canberra, wasn’t shy in his praise of the game’s newest Raider.

“He’s an exciting talent this kid,” Tongue said.

“I’ve seen him play in the under 20s and he trained against the NRL squad last year, I’ve got huge raps on him.”

Wighton overcame a grade two dangerous throw charge during the week, which threatened to sideline him for two weeks.

Tongue didn’t think the judiciary hearing would hinder Wighton’s performance.

“It’s been a rollercoaster week, but sometimes distractions can be handy,” he said.

“I know when I made my NRL debut I didn’t know until two days before, so I wasn’t focused on it all week and it helped me relax.

Arguably Canberra’s greatest five-eighth, Laurie Daley got his first chance in the top grade in the centres, moving into the halves later in his career.

Daley said Wighton will benefit from debuting out wide.

“I think it’s a good grounding to stay out wide and get a better appreciation of what the guys inside do,” Daley said.