Topic: Mark Nicholls  

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Mark Nicholls
« on: December 20, 2011, 09:47:15 PM »
Young Gun Mark Nicholls Pushes for NRL Debut

The year 2012 promises to be a momentous one for Canberra Raiders young gun Mark Nicholls.

The former Junior Kangaroos representative has been training the house down in his bid to fulfill his lifelong dream of playing in the NRL for the Green Machine.

“The pre season’s been very tough. All of the boys have been extremely dedicated and working hard in preparation for next year,” said the Leeton Raiders junior.

“For me personally I’ve been pushing myself hard at training to try and crack into first grade and play a few NRL games. Until that happens though I’ll be training hard and playing my best in reserve grade to push for a spot.”

Since being awarded the player of the year award in the Toyota Cup in 2010, Nicholls’ game has gone from strength to strength after being added to the fulltime training squad for first grade.

The 107kg second rower credits the senior members of the forward pack with his accelerated development by portraying to the Sports Management/Sports Science student what is required to take the next step in his career.

“The senior blokes in the forward pack have been really impressive at training and leading from the front. I’ve been trying to stick with them and learn off players like Brett White, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Joe Picker.”

“Being one of the youngest in the squad it’s been great to train fulltime with the older blokes. They’re players that have been there and done that at every level. I’ve just been trying to learn off them and take a few things away each day.”

“Having Campo back has obviously made a difference too. You can see his quality even at training, just his talk and the way he carries himself. He’s a freak really.”

Away from the field, Nicholls’ is looking forward to spending time with his family over the Christmas break, especially after having moved in with fellow Raiders young guns Sam Williams and Matt McIlwrick.

“We’re all good mates but they’re pretty hopeless around the house,” laughed the 21 year old.

Source: Raiders.com.au

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Mark Nicholls
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »
Mark Nicholls Appointed Raiders CPR Ambassador
19 January 2012, 9:36 am

The National Rugby League in conjunction with The Daily Telegraph has launched a campaign pushing for compulsory certified CPR training in all NSW high schools following an alarming rise in near drowning’s.

The Canberra Raiders are proud to support the campaign and encourage everyone and especially high school students to learn CPR.

Up and coming Raiders second rower and former lifeguard, Mark Nicholls, has been appointed as the Canberra Raiders ambassador for the program.

The former Junior Kangaroo strongly urges the public to realise the importance of learning CPR and the benefits that come with it.

“CPR is an easy and important skill that any of us can learn and have for life,” Nicholls said.

“I strongly encourage everyone to get involved with this wonderful campaign and acquire certified CPR training as one day it may help you to save a family member or friend’s life!”

The campaign has been launched because:
- There have been 54 near drowning’s in 10 days
- 2000 rescues since Christmas Day
- 315 drowning deaths in 2010-11
- 107 drowning deaths in NSW in 2010-11
- Only 8 per cent of people know how to give CPR

Source: www.raiders.com.au - Canberra Raiders News Headlines

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
    • Raidercast
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:28:21 PM »
More injuries see two debutants for Raiders

Canberra have named two debutants on the bench for this weekend's clash against the Warriors on Easter Sunday, with Jarrad Kennedy and Mark Nicholls poised to make their NRL debuts.

Kennedy and Nicholls have been in good form for the Raiders feeder club Mounties and come into the side for Brett White and Joel Thompson, who both picked up injuries against the Cowboys on Monday night.

White suffered a season ending knee injury after rupturing his ACL and will undergo reconstructive surgery to repair the injury tomorrow, which requires nine months of recovery time.

It was a devastating blow for the Raiders prop who played all but one of the Raiders NRL Matches in 2011 and had once again started the season in top form.

Raiders utility Joel Thompson is facing between 3-4 weeks on the sideline with an ankle injury, after scans revealed lateral ankle ligament damage.

Raiders Coach David Furner said the team wasn't going to blame the growing injury toll for the loss to the Cowboys and said he had confidence that the players named this week could some into the team and help the team to a win over New Zealand.

"It's frustrating and we've had our fair share of injuries, but we can't use it as an excuse," Furner said. "We'll have two debutants this week with Jarrad Kennedy and Mark Nicholls who have been in good form for Mounties and they'll bring energy and excitement to the team."

"If the 17 players who go onto the field this weekend with the attitude of winning the game we'll get the win."

Raider's representative prop David Shillington hasn't been named in the side, with his recovery from an oblique injury to be reassessed later in the week.

1 Reece Robinson
2 Blake Ferguson
3 Jarrod Croker
4 Shaun Berrigan
5 Jack Wighton
6 Terry Campese [c]
7 Josh McCrone
8 Dane Tilse
9 Glen Buttriss
10 Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
11 Joe Picker
12 Bronson Harrison
13 Josh Papalii

14 Travis Waddell
15 Jarrad Kennedy
16 Sam Mataora
17 Mark Nicholls

Source: Rleague.com

Raidercast

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
    • Raidercast
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:48:15 PM »
Harrison's loss is Nicholls' gain
1 July 2012, 12:05 pm

Kiwi international Bronson Harrison will miss his second straight game for the Canberra Raiders, allowing Mark Nicholls to make his NRL debut in tomorrow night’s clash with the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Source: Canberra Times Sport Headlines

Raidercast

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
    • Raidercast
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
Nicholls to make NRL debut
2 July 2012, 9:31 am

Mark Nicholls will make his long awaited NRL debut tonight, when the Raiders take on the Dragons at Canberra Stadium.

Source: www.raiders.com.au - Click headline to read full story

Raidercast

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
    • Raidercast
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 02:11:08 PM »
Hamstrung Harrison hands Nicholls debut

Kiwi international Bronson Harrison will miss his second straight game for the Canberra Raiders, allowing Mark Nicholls to make his NRL debut in tonight's clash with the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Harrison was yesterday ruled out because of a hamstring injury suffered in the lead-up to last week's loss to the North Queensland Cowboys.

Nicholls will take his place on the bench, while fellow second-rowers Joel Thompson and Joe Picker both completed yesterday's captain's run at Canberra Stadium and are likely to take their places in the side.

Thompson trained with a heavy bandage on the left hand he injured against the Cowboys, while Picker has recovered from a skin infection which sidelined him for the past two games.

New recruit Sandor Earl is 18th man, but the former Penrith Panther completed training drills on the right wing and could be a late inclusion at the expense of Dimitri Pelo.

Nicholls, 22, has had to bide his time for a chance in the top-grade since being selected in the Junior Kangaroos in 2010.

Raiders coach David Furner has been impressed with the Leeton product's form in the NSW Cup for Mounties.

''He's strong, big, quite aggressive and I think he's earnt it,'' Furner said.

''I've had him on standby for something like three or four games. I know he's keen and he's ready to go.''

Nicholls is expected to spend time in the front row, with captain David Shillington in camp with the Queensland State of Origin team.

Shillington's absence puts more responsibility on the shoulders of experienced front-rowers Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Dane Tilse.

The pair rose to the task when Shillington was missing from the match against Newcastle three weeks ago, winning the battle up the middle of the ground as the Raiders beat the Knights 32-16.

The Dragons' forward pack will be boosted by the return of NSW prop Trent Merrin, who was last week cut from the Blues' 20-man squad.

''I've challenged both our starting front-rowers to lead the side because they did a very good job against Newcastle,'' Furner said.

''With Merrin back for St George, they've got a nice, strong, aggressive pack.''

Learoyd-Lahrs echoed his coach's sentiments.

''I think all the guys in the forward pack have to lift it up a notch in the absence of Shillo,'' he said.

''I'll be looking to do that without trying to overcomplicate things. I'll just try to do my job the best I can and hopefully Tilsey and I work well together.''

Meanwhile, the Raiders' Toyota Cup team can claim outright top spot with a win over the 11th-placed Dragons this afternoon.

Source: The SMH

Raidercast

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
    • Raidercast
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
Been a long time coming for Mark, good luck to him hope he has a great time out there tonight! Go get em mate!

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:30:13 AM »
He's the greenest member of the Green Machine whose elevation to first grade has coincided with Canberra's form reversal.

But rookie prop Mark Nicholls says he's anything but a lucky charm, instead crediting an honesty session after the Raiders' ''embarrassing'' loss to North Queensland for turning their season around.

Since making every basic error possible against the Cowboys 18 days ago in Townsville, the Raiders have notched clinical wins over the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Melbourne Storm.

Nicholls, who debuted against the Dragons, yesterday revealed the players bared their souls after the Townsville debacle and declared mediocrity was no longer acceptable.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/how-an-honesty-session-set-raiders-straight-20120711-21wk0.html#ixzz20MMTShLJ

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »
Nicholls happy to be Raiders lucky charm
11 July 2012, 1:04 pm

Not many players can lay claim to having not tasted defeat in their first grade career but that is one statistic that the Canberra Raiders outstanding young forward Mark Nicholls can rightfully declare at present.

Source: www.raiders.com.au - Click headline to read full story

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »
In a superb debut year in the NRL for the Canberra Raiders, Mark Nicholls took out the Rookie of the Year award at the club’s presentation night and stamped his name as a player of the future.

Source: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/raiders/65446

Click the source link above to read full article.

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »

The Canberra Raiders continue to sign up their future stars, with Mark Nicholls re-signing a new deal today that will keep him at the club until the end of the 2015 season.

Nicholls made his debut in round 17 last season and went on to play in the Raiders remaining 12 matches of the year including the finals, picking up the clubs rookie of the year award at the clubs Meninga Medal presentation night at seasons end.

Nicholls said he’s very happy to sign the new deal with the Raiders and said the goal now is to continue to put his best foot forward to make the first grade team each week.

“I’m excited to be staying with the Raiders for another two years and it’s great to be able to settle in to the season now and try and make my way back into the first grade team,” he said. “The Raiders are a great club and put a lot of faith in their juniors and I’m really happy to have signed a new deal.”

After playing the first two matches of the season for the Raiders top grade side Nicholls has been playing for Mounties after the return of Brett White from injury. Nicholls said this hasn’t deterred his enthusiasm and said as a player relatively new to the prop position; he’s using the experience to continue his development.

“I’m still learning the position and I’ve only really been playing front row for about a year now after playing edge back row all through my junior years,” he said. “Having the new contract allows me to continue my development and I’m working really hard to push for a spot each week and get some more game time in first grade.”

With former NYC team mates Matt McIlwrick and Paul Vaughan signing new deals last week, Nicholls said it’s an exciting time for the club and wished Vaughan all the best this weekend in his debut against the Cowboys.

“It’s great to re-sign and also have a few of my junior team mates from the NYC re-sign as well and hopefully we can continue to develop together, play well for the Raiders and help make the club successful,” he said. “Seeing a guy like Paul Vaughan who I’ve played alongside in the NYC getting the chance to make his debut this weekend is great and hopefully we can play together at NRL level soon as well.”

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the re-signing of Nicholls was another step in the process of determining the clubs long term squad and showed once again the pathway given via the clubs junior development programs.

“Mark is another player we see as a regular NRL standard player and it’s great to have him recommit for another two years,” Furner said. “We pride ourselves on giving our juniors a chance to step up into the NRL spotlight and Mark has shown he is more than capable of playing at NRL level.”

Source: Raiders Press Release

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »
Raiders Injury List - Round 14

Mark Nicholls will miss the remainder of the season, after he sustained a broken arm in the Mounties loss to the Sharks on the weekend.

Nicholls required surgery to repair both his radius and ulna and he will miss the rest of the season.

Glen Buttriss and Joel Edwards returned from injury against the Broncos and came through the game with no complications.

Tom Learoyd-Lahrs is still wearing a protective boot and will be monitored by medical staff.

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/raiders/410

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 04:04:25 PM »
2013 Player Review: Mark Nicholls

While Mark Nicholls on-field contribution was minimal for the Raiders in 2013 due to a badly broken arm, he used the time away from the field well by completing his university degree, various certificates as well as undertaking work experience with the club’s fantastic sponsors DHA.

Nicholls made his NRL debut last year and was so impressive in his 12 appearances that year that he took out the Raiders Rookie of the Year Award.

The former Junior Kangaroo’s influence on the side in was so positive in 2012 that it convinced Coach Furner to leave the 22 year old in his line-up for the remainder of the year and in both of Canberra’s semi-final appearances.

As such, big things were expected of the hard-working forward in 2013.

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/raiders/85804