Topic: Josh Papalii  

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Josh Papalii
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:14:33 PM »
The Josh Papalii Topic

This topic contains news and comments related to Raiders' forward, Josh Papalii.

TimGavel: Dan Vidot in #Raiders team as well , Dave Furner says Shillington no chance,Papali could be out for a month
12 July 2011, 2:31 pm

TimGavel: Dan Vidot in #Raiders team as well , Dave Furner says Shillington no chance,Papali could be out for a month

Source: Twitter / TimGavel

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Papalii returns home
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 03:37:45 PM »
Papalii's home sweet home
31 July 2011, 12:34 pm

JOSH PAPALII has been trying to keep emotion out of his return to his childhood home.

Source: The Canberra Times - Sport - Rugby League

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Papalii earns rep honor
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:33:16 PM »
Papalii called up by Kiwis

Teenager named in training squad

Teenager Josh Papalii is the only new face in New Zealand's initial train-on squad for the Four Nations Series.

The 19-year-old back-rower, who was born in Auckland but raised in Queensland, started 2011 in Canberra Raiders Under-20 side but went on to make 14 appearances in first grade.

The initial nine-man squad has been selected from clubs failing to make the NRL play-offs and will be joined by the rest of the Kiwis soon after the Grand Final for a one-off game against Cook Islands on October 6.

The Kiwis then travel to Newcastle for the trans-Tasman Test against the Kangaroos, before heading to Britain for the Four Nations.

Shaun Kenny-Dowall and former Leeds forward Greg Eastwood have been ruled out with groin and wrist injuries respectively while Frank-Paul Nuuausala is unavailable due to off-season surgery.

New Zealand:
Frank Pritchard (Canterbury Bulldogs), Bronson Harrison, Josh Papalii (both Canberra), Jeremy Smith (Cronulla), Fuifui Moimoi (Parramatta), Sam McKendry (Penrith), Issac Luke (South Sydney), Sam Perrett, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Sydney Roosters).

Source: Sporting Life

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:29:19 PM »
Junior Kiwis dominated by NYC Grand Finalists

NYC grand finalists the NZ Warriors and North Queensland supply all but five of the Junior Kiwis' 18-man squad for their one-off international against the Junior Kangaroos at Ausgrid Stadium in Newcastle on October 16.

After winning the Toyota Cup for the second consecutive year on Sunday, the John Ackland-coached Warriors provide 10 players while the Cowboys have three including 18-year-old second rower Jason Taumalolo, one of three players in the squad with NRL experience.

Taumalolo has played for the Cowboys at first-grade level in the last two seasons while fellow back rower Josh Papalii has appeared for the Canberra Raiders this year and prop Ben Murdoch-Masila has turned out for Wests Tigers over the last two seasons.

Taumalolo is a survivor from the David Kidwell-coached Junior Kiwis' two-match campaign against the Junior Kangaroos last year while others returning are the Warriors' trio of Carlos Tuimavave, Sebastine Ikahihifo and Samiuela Lousi.

The other players selected from the champion Warriors side are fullback Omar Slaimankhel, winger Adam Henry, centre Sosaia Feki, hooker Siliva Havili, prop Agnatius Paasi, loose forward John Palavi and utility Sio Siua Taukeiaho. Captain Ben Henry was also a contender but wasn't available as he is getting married while two other Vodafone Junior Warriors ? halfback Jordan Meads and utility George Maka ? are among the players on standby.

Slaimankhel missed Sunday's 31-30 extra time win over the Cowboys but still finished the season's as the competition's top try scorer with 27 tries in 25 games. Three other players in the squad feature among the leading try-scorers. North Queensland standoff Michael Parker Walshe was second with 24, Henry eighth with 19 and North Queensland fullback Wayne Ulugia 13th with 17.

In last year's series the Junior Kiwis recovered from losing the first clash in Wellington by stunning the Australians in Rotorua when they converted a 0-20 halftime deficit into a 36-20 victory.

Of the players in the 2010 squad, Glen Fisiiahi (Warriors), Shaun Johnson (Warriors), Siuatonga Likiliki (Newcastle), Sam Mataora (Canberra), Kane Morgan (South Sydney), Nafe Seluini (Penrith), Lama Tasi (Sydney Roosters), Martin Taupau (Canterbury-Bankstown), Bill Tupou (Warriors) and Dean Whare (Manly) as well as Taumalolo have all made NRL appearances this year.

Kidwell, now Melbourne's NRL assistant coach, is again coaching the Junior Kiwis.

2011 JUNIOR KIWIS
Kenneath Bromwich - Melbourne Storm
Sosaia Feki - Warriors
Tohu Harris - Melbourne Storm
Siliva Havili - Warriors
Adam Henry - Warriors
Sebastine Ikahihifo - Warriors
Samiuela Lousi - Warriors
Ben Murdoch-Masila - Wests Tigers
Agnatius Paasi - Warriors
John Palavi - Warriors
Josh Papalii - Canberra Raiders
Michael Parker-Walshe - North Queensland Cowboys
Andrew Pelasio - Penrith Panthers
Omar Slaimankhel - Warriors
Sio Siua Taukeiaho - Warriors
Jason Taumalolo - North Queensland Cowboys
Carlos Tuimavave - Warriors
Wayne Ulugia - North Queensland Cowboys

Players on standby:
Jordan Meads - Warriors
George Maka - Warriors
John Koko - North Queensland Cowboys

Source: The World of Rugby League

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »
Papalii selected for Junior Kiwis

Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii has been selected for the Junior Kiwis, to take on the Junior Kangaroos in Newcastle next Sunday at Ausgrid Stadium.

Its the second year running for the Raiders rising star and he faces Raiders team mate Nathan Massey who was selected for the Junior Kangaroos.

The game will be played before the test match between Australia and New Zealand.

Papalii missed out on selection for the New Zealand squad after initially making the train on squad, but is a walk up start for the Junior Kiwis.

The side is dominated by the Grand Final winning Warriors team.

2011 JUNIOR KIWIS

Kenneath Bromwich - Melbourne Storm
Sosaia Feki - Warriors
Tohu Harris - Melbourne Storm
Siliva Havili - Warriors
Adam Henry - Warriors
Sebastine Ikahihifo - Warriors
Samiuela Lousi - Warriors
Ben Murdoch-Masila - Wests Tigers
Agnatius Paasi - Warriors
John Palavi - Warriors
Josh Papalii - Canberra Raiders
Michael Parker-Walshe - North Queensland Cowboys
Andrew Pelasio - Penrith Panthers
Omar Slaimankhel - Warriors
Sio Siua Taukeiaho - Warriors
Jason Taumalolo - North Queensland Cowboys
Carlos Tuimavave - Warriors
Wayne Ulugia - North Queensland Cowboys

Players on standby:
Jordan Meads - Warriors
George Maka - Warriors
John Koko - North Queensland Cowboys

Source: Raiders.com.au

Renee

• Jason Croker
    • RNA
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 06:17:17 PM »
Papalii gets the edge on side-swapping Harrison

Second-year player Josh Papalii is set to become the Raiders' right-hand man, JON TUXWORTH writes

Josh Papalii's rookie NRL campaign was so impressive, he forced seasoned Kiwi international Bronson Harrison to the bench.

But both New Zealanders appear set to begin 2012 in Canberra's starting line-up, with Harrison switching to the left side to accommodate Papalii. Coach David Furner is keen to field a hard-running second-rower on each side of the field, and Harrison's likely move gives Papalii a chance to cement the right-edge spot.

Still 19, Papalii's powerful hole running was one of the major highlights of the Raiders' disappointing campaign last year.

Promoted from the Toyota Cup in round 10, Papalii forged a dangerous combination with playmaker Josh McCrone, and Furner declared he had earned a place in the starting 13.

Papalii was strong in Canberra's trial win over Melbourne last week, while Harrison looked right at home on the left side.

It means Joel Thompson may start the season filling the utility role on the bench.

''I know last year I contemplated putting him [Harrison] on the left side,'' Furner said yesterday.

''He has a nice left-foot step and strong right shoulder, he looks quite comfortable there which allows Papa [Papalii] on the right-hand side.

''I will be looking at it, and thought he [Harrison] played quite strongly there last week.''

Furner is confident a full pre-season with the NRL squad will ensure Papalii avoids the dreaded second-year syndrome.

''That would be down to poor preparation, but I think he's had a good preparation so we're expecting him to grow in that position,'' Furner said. ''Certainly I think he's earned a starting spot there.

''He certainly showed last year, and also this pre-season, how strong he is, and if we can give him some early ball he's a real handful.

''Whether he can play the full 80 minutes, we'll see how he goes in the trial.''

Harrison played all his football at Wests Tigers on the left, outside star five-eighth Benji Marshall, before moving to the Raiders in 2009.

His likely move means he will be running off another gun playmaker in Terry Campese, and Harrison is hopeful that will help him rediscover his blistering form of 2010.

''I think that's going to be the plan [playing on the left],'' Harrison said. ''Papalii's very strong and is playing well on the right. I've grown up playing left and it wasn't until I got here I switched to the right.

''Playing outside Campo, who's such a quality player, it takes bit of focus off me.

''He gets more ball that side as well, so we'll just have to work on that combination and hopefully get a few more tries this year.''

Harrison's move should also strengthen Canberra's left-side defence, which was a major concern for the majority of last year.

He will get the chance to work on his combination with left centre Jarrod Croker for the first time in today's trial against Canterbury in Wagga Wagga.

Croker missed the Storm clash with a knee injury, but has trained solidly this week and will take his place against the Bulldogs.

Prop David Shillington [infected elbow] also returns for his first hit-out of the year, but young back Jack Wighton has been ruled out with a minor back strain.

Representative forward Tom Learoyd-Lahrs is the only first-team regular missing with a minor ankle injury.

''We've got 21 players, but not all of them are guaranteed game time,'' Furner said. ''Canterbury play a different style of football and I really want to get our defensive line in order, [because] they'll get tested more than we did last week.

''They've got some forwards with second phase ability who will test our defensive line, and I'm looking forward to that test.''

Source: smh.com.au

GB7600

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Josh Papalii
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 03:48:08 PM »
Love the friendly rivalry that Harrison and Papalli seem to have going it will make them both try harder. Wont hurt Harrison to have a younger bloke keeping the heat on him.

GB7600

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:33:39 PM »
Raiders young gun Josh Papalii knocks back Maroons Origin coach Mal Meninga to pledge allegiance to New Zealand

SORRY Mal, but you won't get this talent.

Queensland-raised 19-year-old hitman Josh Papalii has ignored overtures from Maroons coach Mal Meninga and pledged his allegiance to New Zealand.

Meninga tried to convince Papalii, the Canberra backrower, that his future was in the State of Origin arena with Queensland, the state he moved to from Auckland during primary school.

But Logan junior Papalii said his Kiwi roots meant too much to him and he formally put his hand up for a black jersey.

As a glimpse of what Queensland would be missing out on, the 108kg Papalii rocked Gold Coast players Mark Minichiello and Steve Michaels with big shoulder charges in the Raiders' 24-12 win on Saturday night.

Papalii joins Broncos stars Jack Reed, Gerard Beale and Josh Hoffman as talents who have shunned Queensland out of a desire to represent their country of heritage.

Papalii could be a bolter in Stephen Kearney's team for the Anzac Test in April.

Meninga, who is a coaching consultant at the Raiders, sat down with Papalii late last year to pitch his case.

Papalii said he was humbled by Meninga's approach, but had to go with his heart.

"I know now ... I'm Kiwi 100 per cent," Papalii said.

"I went on a tour with Junior Kiwis a few months ago and the bond amongst the boys was too strong. There was a lot of love there amongst my brothers and it's something I'm desperate to be a part of again."

With Queensland boasting only 21 per cent of players registered in the NRL, Meninga said it had got to the stage where he needed to work on players as young as 14 to have them commit to the Maroons.

Papalii said Junior Kiwis Lama Tasi and Sam Kasiano had made the "best decisions" for them in opting to declare allegiance to the Maroons.

Papalii said the choice would become increasingly difficult for young Kiwis as so many left for better opportunities across the ditch.

Source: Courier Mail

GB7600

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 02:44:31 PM »
Papalii can be as good as Wiki: Campese

Canberra skipper Terry Campese believes highly-rated Raiders youngster Josh Papalii can evolve into a defender as feared as club legend Ruben Wiki.

Josh Papalii can become as strong a defender as Raiders great Ruben Wiki, says Canberra captain Terry Campese. Photo: Gary Schafer

Campese rates former New Zealand hard man Wiki, who played 225 games for the Raiders, one of the biggest hitters he's played with.

But after Papalii pulled off some vicious shots against Gold Coast on Saturday, Campese insists the Raiders have found their next enforcer.

The 19-year-old forced Gold Coast veteran Mark Minichiello into error with a huge inspirational hit in the first half. It helped change the momentum of the game, with the Titans pressing Canberra's line for a third consecutive set.

''Ruben was one of the biggest hitters I ever played with, and the way Papalii's started he can definitely get to the same place where Ruben was,'' Campese said.

''All the boys got behind him [after the Minichiello tackle] and let him know it was a big moment in the game. It's good to see the confidence in the group at the moment, and leading the way is big Papalii.

''Papa made a few bone-crunchers as they call them, and it riled the boys up.''

Auckland-born Papallii boasts similar attributes to those that made Wiki one of the most intimidating players to wear the lime green.

Much like his childhood idol, Papalii doesn't just strive to stop an opponent, he wants to hurt them.

It's hard to believe the second-rower was playing against kids in the Toyota Cup just 10 months ago.

Papalii's immediate impact has been so great, the Raiders have shifted New Zealand international Bronson Harrison to the left side this season to accommodate him in the starting line-up.

Papalii's enthusiastic charges in attack are arguably as destructive as his defence.

The nuggety teenager's low centre of gravity makes him a tricky proposition to stop, as Raiders prop Tom Learoyd-Lahrs attested to last season.

''He's like a bloody wombat - you just can't knock him off balance, and he just keeps his legs pumping,'' Learoyd-Lahrs said in June.

''I don't think I've ever seen a bloke his age so developed and so strong. It takes a lot of players years to get to where he is now with his football.''

During his career, Wiki regularly credited traditional Fijian drink kava for fuelling his thirst to inflict pain.

Campese joked one of his wife Sarah's recipes could be responsible for Papalii's own brutal streak.

''Once a week he comes over and my girl makes him curry chicken, he loves it,'' Campese said.

''She reckons that's what puts the fire in his belly.''

Source: The SMH

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 03:07:44 PM »
Big Mal wants to see Papalii in maroon

BOOM Canberra second-rower Josh Papalii is a wanted man, not only from rival clubs but Queensland coach Mal Meninga.

Wanted man ... Josh Papalii.

Papalii was born in New Zealand but Meninga has been trying to convince the Queensland-raised player to change his allegiance and make himself available for the Maroons. So far the 108-kilogram giant isn't budging.

Last year the 19-year-old was a member of the Junior Kiwis squad but the Souths Logan junior also donned a maroon guernsey for the Queensland under-18s team in 2010.

''I am into him about playing for Queensland but he won't budge at the moment,'' Meninga said.

''I've been into him for about 12 months and he won't change his mind. Every time I get an opportunity I mention it to him and every opportunity I have mentioned it to him he has always shaken his head saying, 'No, I am available for New Zealand'.''

Meninga has not given up hope of changing Papalii's mind though he does not blame him wanting to represent his country of birth despite moving to Australia in primary school.

Meninga, who works as a coaching consultant for Canberra, was impressed by Papalii's performance against Gold Coast on Saturday, particularly his muscling up in defence. Meninga said a shoulder charge on Titans forward Mark Minichiello, forcing the veteran into error, was a game-changing moment.

''He was fantastic and put on some really good plays when the chips were down and they needed something. The great hit he did [on Minichiello] allowed the Raiders to keep the pressure on and things like that are fantastic,'' he said.

''Those sort of things are really important from individuals in the team to come up with a big play and that changed the momentum of the game.''

Meninga believes more should be done to ensure the junior talent nurtured in Australia remains eligible to play for their state after Jack Reed, Gerard Beale and Josh Hoffman all put other national aspirations ahead of potential Queensland and Australian represent honours.

''It is disappointing [to lose those players] as it is my belief that if you invest all your time, energy and money to a junior coming through the club system here in Australia they should automatically be involved in Queensland or NSW,'' he said.

Canberra and Queensland front-rower David Shillington had not heard about Meninga's plans for Papalii but thought the 19-year-old could adapt to the higher level of Origin if he made himself eligible.

''It would be good to have him on board, he is a talented player for a young fella and he is only going to get better,'' Shillington said. ''We saw his hitting power on the weekend, he put a couple of really good shots and that is the sort of stuff Origin in built on.''

Source: Donnybrook Mail

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »
Fairly sure Paps has come out and said he is 100% Kiwi and wouldnt think about playing for QLD. Can't blame Big Mal for trying though the kid is made for Origin.

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
    • Raidercast
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »
Papalii's loyalty to a band of brothers

Josh Papalii admits Mal Meninga's attempts to pledge his future to Queensland were tempting.

Josh Papalii says the 'brotherhood' of playing for New Zealand was behind his decision to reject the advances of Queensland coach Mal Meninga to play for the Maroons. Photo: Stuart Walmsley

But ultimately a desire to remain a part of the tight-knit Kiwi brotherhood convinced the emerging Raiders star to stick with the country of his birth.

The hard-hitting second-rower can further enhance his chances of a Test debut for New Zealand with another strong performance in Sunday's match with the Sydney Roosters at Allianz Stadium.

After turning down the advances of the Raiders legend and Maroons coach to become available for State of Origin, the 19-year-old is relieved to finally have his future sorted.

''Mal was pretty convincing, it was hard because I stayed in Queensland for a while,'' Papalii said.

''It's more about where you come from and knowing your roots, and New Zealand's where I come from.

''I'd be awesome to honour my country.

''It was a tough decision but it's one I'm happy with.''

Papalii got a taste of international football with the Junior Kiwis in 2010.

It was there, among the country's premier under 20s prospects, he developed a lifelong bond which played a crucial role in his decision.

''It's pretty much like a brotherhood,'' he said.

''From day one you know everyone will be close.

''It's just a Kiwi thing, it's hard to explain.''

While he moved to Brisbane when he was seven, Papalii has never forgotten where he comes from. He visits his old stomping ground in the working-class suburb of Mount Roskill whenever the Raiders travel to Auckland to play the Warriors.

''I just wanted to wear a black jersey,'' Papalii recalled.

''It was all about the Kiwis and the All Blacks.''

Papalii burst on to the scene last year, making a barnstorming debut in the Raiders' shock win in Melbourne and retaining his place for the rest of the season.

He's carried that form into 2012, winning a starting berth to form an all Kiwi back-row with Bronson Harrison, who has represented New Zealand 13 times.

Harrison endorsed Papalii's selection to the New Zealand team but believed he needed to work on controlling his 108kg frame to take his game to the next level.

''I reckon he can still work on a few professional things, like controlling his body weight,'' Harrison said.

''If he can get down to a regular weight then he'll be there.''

Harrison and Papalii have shown in the opening two rounds they can form a devastating combination on either side of the ruck.

Harrison missed last year's Four Nations tournament because of knee surgery but has made a promising start to regaining his Kiwi jersey for the Anzac Test.

However, his immediate focus is helping the Raiders string together back-to-back victories on the road.

''Always representing New Zealand is a big feat, but the Raiders come first.If we get everything right for the Raiders that'll put me and Joshy in good stead,'' Harrison said.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
    • Raidercast
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »
Raiders come first for Harrison and Papalii

The Canberra Raiders second row pairing of Bronson Harrison and Josh Papalii could well be packing down together for the New Zealand Test side later on in the year if their current form persists, however the talented duo’s main focus is on playing their hearts out for the Green Machine.

Harrison has donned the Kiwi jersey with honor in thirteen tests and believes that Papalii, at just twenty years of age, is not far behind him.

“Josh Papalii is definitely in contention for a New Zealand call up,” said Harrison.

“I think he needs to work on a few professional things like controlling his body weight and if he can get down to a regular weight I think he’ll be there.”

“We haven’t touched on what he can expect from playing in a test match because if we focus on playing well for the Raiders then selection will follow that. We’re trying to focus mainly on playing well for the Raiders and getting the team off to a good start.”

“Anytime I represent New Zealand is a big feat for myself and I’d love to be back there but as I said, the Raiders come first and if we get everything moving in the right direction for the Raiders it will put Josh and I in good stead for test selection.”

The Raiders enjoyed their first win of the season last week with a 24-12 win over the Gold Coast Titans with the Kiwi pair instrumental in the victory. Harrison believes the side’s forward pack will need to once again lead from the front this week against a Sydney Roosters pack containing the likes of fellow Kiwi enforcer Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

The task is made harder due to the unavailability of forward leaders Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Dane Tilse, however Harrison is confident that their replacements in Sam Mataora and Trevor Thurling will continue to provide the required fortitude in attack and defence.

“We’ve got some good depth in our forwards and the new guys that have come in this week will no doubt step up. The boys coming in will work within our structure and everything will be fine. The forwards have stepped up this year and we’re working better as a unit. We’ve just got to make sure that we continue to work as a team.”

“We’ve been working very hard the last couple of weeks and in the off-season on trying to build that mental toughness that’s required in the NRL and we’re seeing some of the fruits of that in these first couple of games.”

“We were unfortunate with the first result and happy with last week’s win but we can’t be complacent. We know that the Roosters are a good side and we’re going to have to put in a good performance to get the win.”

The match against the Sydney Roosters kicks off at 2:00pm on Sunday at Allianz Stadium.

Source: Raiders

GB7600

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »
New Zealand Raider fends off Mal Meninga

No wonder Josh Papalii was supposedly suffering from an identity crisis. Auckland-born and educated in Brisbane, a Junior Kiwi who played for the Queensland under-18s – the Canberra Raiders' hit-man has also been told he resembles Tonie Carroll and Ruben Wiki.

The comparison to Carroll is not just in relation to their hard-hitting defence, the former Broncos utility from Christchurch also divided his loyalties between the Kangaroos, Kiwis and Queensland during a varied playing career.

Papalii, who left Auckland as a 6-year-old, faced a similar dilemma in terms of his representative future, and there had been conflicting reports about where the 19-year-old's allegiance actually lay.

Last year he was said to be siding with Queensland, but the quietly spoken teenager has set the record straight – despite Maroons coach Mal Meninga's frequent attempts to convince Papalii he is a future Origin player, the Kiwis take precedence.

It would take a brave kid to put a fend on Meninga, but that's Papalii's game plan each time the Raiders' legend pops down to Canberra Stadium in his role as a coaching consultant.

"He always asks if I want to be a Queenslander," Papalii said.

"It's pretty hard when someone like Mal asks you to come across."

Early on the backrower considered accepting the invite, but meeting Wiki, New Zealand's most-capped league international, at a Junior Kiwis camp last year provided a moment of clarity.

"What he said about the playing for the Kiwis, he was a big inspiration to everyone.

"I decided I'm definitely going for the Kiwis. I enjoyed the culture and the team, I sort of fell in love with the brothers over there," he said.

Meninga, by now, has practically conceded defeat.

"I've been into him for about 12 months and he won't change his mind. Every time I get an opportunity I mention it to him and he has always shaken his head saying, `No, I am available for New Zealand'."

A Kiwis call-up could still be some way off for Papalii – coach Stephen Kearney has no shortage of back-row options for the April 20 Anzac test against the Kangaroos at Eden Park – but his bone-rattling defence has certainly created an impression.

That shoulder charge on Gold Coast Titans forward Mark Minichiello in round two of the NRL is still talked about in glowing terms as a game changer.

"He was fantastic and put on some really good plays when the chips were down and they needed something. The great hit he did [on Minichiello] allowed the Raiders to keep the pressure on and things like that are fantastic," Meninga said.

Papalii sounds almost bashful when asked about the significance of his big hits. Does he have the collision with Minichiello on his highlights reel?

"Nah, I don't really remember much about the games. It all goes pretty quick for me," he mumbled.

Raiders team-mate and NSW Origin prop Tom Learoyd-Lahrs was more effusive and drew a parallel with Carroll.

"He's definitely in the same mould as Tunza [Carroll]. He bends his back and hits blokes in the right spot. He can really whack blokes without an ounce of effort."

Papalii's captain Terry Campese reckoned he could develop into a defender with the same fearsome reputation as Wiki, who played 225 games for the Raiders.

"Ruben was one of the biggest hitters I ever played with, and the way Papalii's started he can definitely get to the same place where Ruben was," Campese said.

"I still pinch myself when I think about how things have worked out," Papalii said as he prepared for today's sixth-round match against the Warriors at Canberra Stadium.

"It's all been pretty quick."

Source: Stuff.co.nz

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 01:40:25 PM »
Canberra Raiders young gun Josh Papalii is cleared of fractured arm but still may miss a week

Canberra back-rower Josh Papalii has been cleared of a fractured arm but remains in doubt for the Raiders' NRL clash with South Sydney on Friday week.

The Raiders, who have the bye this week, initially feared Papalii could require surgery and miss up to 12 weeks with the injury to his right arm suffered early in the second half of Canberra's 40-34 win over Parramatta on Sunday.

Scans on Monday cleared Papalii of a fracture but he has suffered minor nerve damage.

Papalii will undergo physio and medical treatment with a view of getting him right for the Rabbitohs clash on May 25.

Papalii, who was among the try scorers in the win over the Eels, was forced off the field in the 48th minute with the arm injury and didn't return.

"I went to tackle one of the props and swung my arm ... copped his knee and felt a sharp pain through my forearm," Papalii said.

"I was in pain when it happened and left the field to put some ice on it."

Source: Fox Sports