Topic: Reece Robinson  

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Reece Robinson
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 04:31:22 PM »
Reece Robinson Will play his 50th NRL match this weekend. Full round 22 team ann...
31 July 2012, 2:33 pm

Reece Robinson Will play his 50th NRL match this weekend. Full round 22 team announced later this afternoon.

Source: Canberra Raiders's Facebook Wall

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »
Well done Reecy!

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 10:48:48 AM »
Reece Robinson’s goal for this season was simply to secure his position in the team and he most definitely achieved that and much more. Put simply, Robinson came of age in 2012.

Source: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/raiders/65603

Click the source link above to read full article.

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 06:15:48 PM »
Raiders bury Dragons

St George Illawarra’s 13-year hoodoo in Canberra continues after a brilliant Reece Robinson double sparked the Raiders to a 30-17 victory, their first of the NRL season.

Robinson proved life after fullback Josh Dugan won’t be so hard for the Green Machine, scoring two tries and involving himself in another in front of a crowd of 12,115 at Canberra Stadium.

A deft chip kick from Dragons halfback Nathan Fien had winger Brett Morris open the scoring in the 17th minute when he both caught and placed the ball whilst in mid-air.

However after a shaky start the Raiders’ ball security improved light years beyond the previous two weeks, starving the Dragons of possession and completing six consecutive sets midway through the first half.

That sustained pressure helped the Raiders hit back when Robinson claimed a ‘Steven Bradbury’ try in the 31st minute, watching three players fall down in front of him to comfortably place down a Blake Ferguson grubber in the corner.

Robinson then scored from dummy-half minutes after halftime when centre Jarrod Croker was pulled down just short of the line following a 60m effort.

Both sides continued to trade punches, until Robinson broke down the left flank from a kick return with three minutes to go to give Croker his second try of the match and seal the win.

The Dragons may have extra cause to feel aggrieved with their third straight loss after Morris was controversially denied a try in the third minute due to the video referee ruling Raiders five-eighth Josh McCrone was obstructed in the lead up.

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/raiders-bury-dragons-20130324-2go44.html#ixzz2ORxYVrcH

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 06:16:09 PM »
Josh Dugan's exit was supposed to confine Canberra to the NRL finals scrap heap.

Somebody clearly forgot to tell his replacement at fullback Reece Robinson after he tormented St George-Illawarra for a second straight year at Canberra Stadium on Sunday night.

After scoring a hat-trick in last year's 22-18 home win over the Dragons, Robinson scored two tries and set up Jarrod Croker's late match-sealer to spearhead Canberra to its first win of the season, 30-17.

If the Raiders could request a game to play themselves into form, a home assignment against the Dragons would be top of that list.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/reece-lightning-strikes-again-20130324-2go44.html#ixzz2OScppHOu

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 06:18:34 PM »
Learoyd-Lahrs says Robinson is Raiders silent star

He keeps a lower profile than his big-name predecessor, but Canberra Raiders prop Tom Learoyd-Lahrs says Reece Robinsons calm demeanour should not be mistaken for a lack of confidence.

While the flashy, tattoo-clad Josh Dugan hogged the Canberra limelight before his sacking, Robinson shies away from it.

And its that understated professionalism which Learoyd-Lahrs said made him a popular figure with teammates.

He may be quietly spoken and not be the most outlandish type of guy or put himself out there, but hes very confident within himself and what hes capable of, Learoyd-Lahrs said. Hes got a different type of confidence [to Dugan], but obviously he proves it out there when hes playing footy.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/learoydlahrs-says-robinson-is-raiders-silent-star-20130325-2gqki.html#ixzz2OYiCvXIF

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 06:22:10 PM »
After a flying start, Reece Robinson says he is looking forward to cementing the Raiders' fullback role made vacant by the NRL club's sacking of wayward star Josh Dugan.

Robinson starred with a man-of-the-match, two-try effort in the Raiders' 30-17 win over St George Illawarra on Sunday.

His brilliant performance at fullback was made possible because incumbent Dugan was sacked from the club two weeks ago for skipping a team rehab session and then posting an online photograph of himself drinking alcohol on a rooftop.

Robinson was quick to play down his performance, laughing at suggestions his first try was a Steven Bradbury-like performance after three players fell down in front of him while chasing a Blake Ferguson grubber.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/robinson-covets-vacant-fullback-role-20130326-2gsj0.html#ixzz2OeNsbhNN

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 01:33:32 AM »
Go Reece Lightning, No.1 is on the charts

HE WAS already somewhat of a cult figure, but one clever Canberra Raiders fan has used the magic of song to pay tribute to new fullback Reece Robinson. After Josh Dugan's sacking Robinson has been thrust into the custodian role full-time, prompting Nixon Rysk to compile a YouTube clip devoted to the quietly spoken star. Dubbed ''Reece Lightning'' last year after some fine performances in the No.1 jersey, the clip showcases some of Robinson's highlights to the tune of the John Travolta classic Greased Lightnin'. The line, ''Go Reece Lightning, he's better than the guy we had'', is particularly amusing.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/go-reece-lightning-no1-is-on-the-charts-20130330-2h0uo.html#ixzz2P5dnyhNu

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 07:09:39 PM »
Read About a Raider is a weekly segment in which you, the club’s members, get to ask a specific player for that week any question you like. This week’s player is none other than Reece 'Lightning' Robinson.

Riley Cooper: Reece I’ve been loving watching you play fullback. Did you play fullback during your juniors?

Reece: Thanks Riley I really appreciate it. I actually never really played fullback growing up. I always used to play halfback or five-eighth and only made the switch to the wing when I got older. In 2011 and last year I got thrown into fullback but before then I’ve never really played there.

I definitely love playing at fullback now. You get a lot more footy playing at fullback compared to playing on the wing. You can get a bit lost out on the wing at times and sometimes you don’t see as much of the football as you’d like so I’m happy to be in the number one jersey and hopefully I’m helping the boys out playing there.

Jennifer Lawrence: Who was your favourite player growing up?

Reece: I was a Souths fan growing up Jennifer but unfortunately they didn’t do too well in the 1990s so I mainly looked up to my older cousin Nathan Merritt who was a star in the junior rep teams for Souths.

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/raiders/73082

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »
Long way to the top for Canberra Raiders' Reece Robinson

SOMETIMES it's just as crucial to be adept at the game within the game. Because those who make the top grade aren't always the most athletic, talented or hard-working.

Sometimes, a crafty knack of leveraging relationships and forming bonds with influential types can provide an alternative mode of ascent for those not so naturally gifted.

That's the key to success in the game within the game.

As a softly spoken non-drinker who loathes the spotlight, Reece Robinson was never going to be suited to winning at this game.

Which might explain why rugby league fans have had to wait so long to regularly enjoy his breathtaking speed and evasion.

At 25, Robinson started this season with just 56 NRL appearances to his credit. Despite starring at fullback in Josh Dugan's absence last year, he was still a borderline selection for Canberra's top side when hostilities resumed in March.

But Dugan's sacking has finally put Robinson on a pedestal in the No.1 jersey, in which he left the game's best fullback - Billy Slater - completely flat-footed en route to a slashing solo try last weekend.

The explosive turn of foot is borne from an incredible genetic link to some of Australian sport's top indigenous stars.

Nathan Merritt, Anthony Mundine and Ricky Walford all feature in the Robinson family tree, which is planted by his mother Christine.

She embraced the unenviable task of being a single mum to four children when Robinson and his twin brother Travis - who now plays for Penrith - were just four years old.

That's when their father, Zak, returned to his home country of Lebanon and left behind a family in the tough streets of Waterloo.

Christine worked full-time at a nearby women's refuge to make ends meet, negotiating afternoons off during the winter to take her boys to football training from the age of three.

"She's pretty much done everything for us," Robinson said.

"I got into rugby league at a very young age, because it was a cultural thing for my family. My pop Eric played for Souths and Brisbane.

"From the Aboriginal side, we are very much a footy family."

Both Robinson boys always dreamed of playing for Souths, but they would encounter the first of many setbacks when their childhood club refused to offer either a contract after they graduated from SG Ball in 2007.

They transferred to Cronulla, before Robinson embarked on a nomadic tour of Brisbane and North Sydney, where he even worked as a postman until finally landing a start at Canberra in 2010.

The Raiders were the only NRL club to make an offer, and only did so after Wayne Bennett - who was impressed with Robinson's attitude in Brisbane - cold-called to recommend him.

The difficult experience taught Christine much about the politics and inner workings of professional sport, given Reece had already attracted Super Rugby offers from the Brumbies after starring as a fly-half with his Randwick Boys schoolboy side.

"My youngest son, Latrell, is coming through the grades and Souths have shown some interest," Christine said. "But I don't know what to do because of the way they treated my older boys.

"Maybe times have changed, because the senior club does seem to be operating a bit better now.

"I've always told the boys to stick to their guns because they only get one opportunity and don't want to look back with any regrets.

"Sometimes it's not always about ability. It's about who you know, not what you know.

"That's obviously why Nathan Merritt is still waiting for his chance in State of Origin.

"Both my boys also don't drink, and that probably hasn't worked in their favour in a sport like rugby league.

"I think that was a factor for Reece at the Sharks, that he didn't get out and drink with the other players and coaches and make those connections.

"There's a lot put into that male bonding stuff.

"But just because you don't drink doesn't mean you don't have a sense of humour, or can't relate.

"It's probably why Wayne Bennett understood him. He's quiet and doesn't push his cause."

Raiders teammates talk about Robinson as a humble player who some even wanted to remain at fullback when Dugan returned from injury late last year.

"A lot of the boys thought he should have stayed there," one Raiders player said.

"He's got a better passing game and he fit into our structures a lot better.

"There was a bit of talk among the players about Reece staying at fullback and moving Josh to the centres."

The irony is that Robinson had never played fullback consistently until he deputised for Dugan.

And if not for a minor stress fracture, he would have worn the No.1 City jersey in last month's NSW Origin selection trial.

"I've just tried to stick it out," he said.

"There's no point putting your head down and getting upset. I had a lot of people who believed in me.

"It was mainly my mum.

"Ever since I was a kid she's always given me advice after games about what I should and shouldn't be doing.

"I was told when I came here that my best chance would be on the wing, because the club had Josh Dugan at fullback.

"But his injury gave me a crack there last year. I was always confident I could do the job."

Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/long-way-to-the-top-for-canberra-raiders-reece-robinson/story-e6frexr0-1226638884687

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »
Robinson's anger at cap system

Canberra fullback Reece Robinson has blasted the NRL's second-tier salary cap system as ''unfair'' as it threatens to stall his brother's career at Penrith.

The Raiders flyer is due to take on identical twin Travis in an NRL match for the first time at Canberra Stadium on Saturday.

Travis has been named on the wing for the Panthers, despite ongoing concerns the club's second-tier salary cap issues could squeeze him out. Fullback Matt Moylan was forced to miss Penrith's loss to Wests Tigers on Sunday and Robinson was only given a late reprieve to play.

Penrith remains in talks with the NRL and the club is hopeful Robinson won't suffer the same fate as Moylan. Neither Robinson nor Moylan are part of Penrith's top-25 squad, with both called up from the NSW Cup to ease Penrith's injury toll.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/robinsons-anger-at-cap-system-20130611-2o2gg.html#ixzz2VyZUBSSP

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 01:35:11 PM »
Robinsons dream of playing on same team

If the Robinson twins had their way, they'd be playing their first NRL match together on the same team, not against each other.

But Reece and Travis Robinson, who used to have their first initials shaved into their hair as juniors so coaches could tell them apart, will be on opposite sides of the park when the Raiders host the Panthers at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.

The brothers turned 26 on Thursday and Reece, the more established NRL star at fullback with the Raiders, claimed his brother, Travis, was always the ''better player''.

But it was less than two years ago Travis snuck under the radar of the Raiders, despite being the leading try-scorer in the Canberra Raiders Cup competition for the premiership-winning Queanbeyan Kangaroos for two years from 2010-11.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/robinsons-dream-of-playing-on-same-team-20130614-2o9yr.html#ixzz2WFhyeZ5Z

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »
Robinson lads finally meet on centre stage

If the Robinson twins had their way, they'd be playing their first NRL match together on the same team, not against each other.

But Reece and Travis Robinson, who used to have their first initials shaved into their hair as juniors so coaches could tell them apart, will be on opposite sides of the park when Canberra host Penrith at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.

The brothers turned 26 on Thursday and Reece, the more established NRL star at fullback with the Raiders, claims his brother, Travis, was always the ''better player''.

But it was less than two years ago Travis snuck under the radar of the Raiders, despite being the leading try-scorer in the Canberra Raiders Cup competition for the title-winning Queanbeyan Kangaroos in 2010 and 2011. He finally got his chance in the NRL last year with Penrith and has secured a regular spot after five tries in his past six games.

''I went down there [to Queanbeyan] with the hope of going to the Raiders, but that didn't work out,'' Travis said. ''I was hoping to play with him [Reece], but it's a pretty good competition down there.

''Everyone would love to play with their brother, but we do it every year in the [Aboriginal] Knockout, as long as we can do that, it's not so bad.

''Our family's all coming down to the game. It's our birthday during the week, so one of us will be upset.''

Both gifted, neither had an easy path to the NRL. Dumped by the Broncos at the end of 2008, Reece was taken on by the Raiders on the advice of then Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett. He has entrenched himself as a star at fullback since the sacking of Josh Dugan.

Travis' journey has been even more tumultuous. In 2006, he suffered an ankle compound dislocation playing for Cronulla's premier league side. His ankle was hanging by a couple of ligaments. It took 18 months of rehabilitation and, disillusioned with the game, Travis went to a rugby league outpost in Alice Springs to escape.

Being coaxed back to Queanbeyan changed his fortunes.

Reece was watching from the stands the day Travis suffered the ankle injury. ''It was pretty devastating to see what happened to him because he was on a roll at that stage,'' Reece said. ''Maybe that year he would have got a crack in the NRL, but that injury set him back a fair bit. I'm glad he got back into it and I'm definitely proud of him, I always thought growing up he was a better player than me.

''He probably made a few shit moves, especially moving up to Alice Springs, but he came back and switched back on.''

They've worn Lebanon's green representative jersey together (their father was Lebanese), but both admit playing in the same NRL team remains their dream.

They were Souths fans growing up in Redfern, their grandfather Eric was a Rabbitohs great. They spent days playing touch football with their cousins, Souths flyer Nathan Merritt and boxer Anthony Mundine. ''I'd definitely rather play with my brother, we've always spoken about it and there was only a couple of opportunities when we were younger,'' Reece said. ''If we have to play against each other we have to do it, it'll come down to whoever's best on the day.''

Queanbeyan Kangaroos captain-coach Aaron Gorrell, who played NRL with the Dragons and Broncos, says he was shocked Travis wasn't spotted by Canberra during his two seasons in the Raiders Cup. ''Everyone knew how good he was, it was just a matter of him putting his mind to it and having a fair dinkum crack,'' he said. ''When he had the ball there was no one close to him in the comp, and still isn't.''

Source: http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/story/1573964/robinson-lads-finally-meet-on-centre-stage/?cs=12

Archie

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 11:20:18 PM »
Robinson reels from twin blow

He was lauded as Canberra's saviour after Josh Dugan's sacking, but a missed chance to play NRL alongside his twin brother is believed to be a major reason behind Reece Robinson's form slide.

Robinson was given first crack at cementing the fullback spot after excelling there in the back end of last year when Dugan was injured.

But after relinquishing the No.1 jersey to Anthony Milford and some quiet displays on the wing, Robinson was demoted to 18th man for Saturday's clash with Sydney Roosters.

Robinson was the sole player dropped after last week's record 68-4 loss to Melbourne. He may earn a reprieve should fellow winger Sandor Earl fail to recover from a cork in his leg.

The Raiders had explored the option of signing his twin brother Travis from Penrith mid-year to help solve an outside back injury crisis.

It is understood Reece was shattered when the move didn't happen, and Travis has since signed with Melbourne for next year.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/robinson-reels-from-twin-blow-20130809-2rnmt.html#ixzz2bTgBnYz0

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »
2013 Player Review: Reece Robinson

Although his numbers were down from his superb season in 2012, Reece Robinson still proved on several occasions throughout the year that he is a more than capable match winner on his day.

Robinson had his best season to date last year with the prodigiously talented outside back finishing as runner up to Shaun Fensom in the Meninga Medal count.

As such, many were expecting big things of him in 2013.

Robinson’s year began well when it was announced that the 26 year old had been selected for the Indigenous All Stars, his maiden representative jersey.

Playing on the wing, Robinson starred for the Indigenous All Stars in their 32-6 victory over the NRL All Stars, becoming the first players, along with Ben Barba, to score a hat-trick of tries in an All Stars match.

Read more: http://www.raiders.com.au/news-display/raiders/85919