Topic: My inspiration: Crystal Papalii follows brother Josh's footsteps

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
They grew up breaking tackles and scoring tries in the backyard of a humble Queensland home, in local parks and out on the street.

They even shared the same dream of representing Queensland and Australia - but not once did Crystal and Josh Papalii think they would soon share the big stage on the same day.

Canberra Raiders player Josh Papalii and sister Crystal. Canberra Raiders player Josh Papalii and sister Crystal.

The days she ran amok with her older brothers are among the memories now 18-year-old Crystal cherishes most - but those moments may soon be trumped by another.

Crystal is preparing to make her club rugby league debut for the Valley Dragons in their Katrina Fanning Shield showdown against the Boomanulla Buffaloes at Canberra Stadium on Saturday.

It is the curtain-raiser to the Canberra Raiders' clash with the North Queensland Cowboys in which her older brother Josh will piece together one final State of Origin audition.

While she has spent the best part of her teenage years watching her brother star from afar, Crystal now has the best seat in the house.

The Papalii siblings have reunited in Canberra - and the decision to move in with her brother has Crystal yearning to realise her own childhood dream.

"It's so cool how you see big stars and where they came from. They just started in the backyard, and they never thought they would be where they are now," Crystal said.

(blockquote)Backyard rugby, in the park, anywhere our family would be, we'd be playing on the streets. Those are just good memories.Crystal Papalii(/blockquote)

"That's pretty much my inspiration, because of Josh, he started in the backyard, in school, in a club, he's my idol. He's making me want it more.

"I want to achieve what the girls are doing now. They're on TV, representing Australia, representing Queensland, that's always been my dream since I was a little girl.

"I've been holding back from rugby for a long time, I just have this fear of not pushing myself to the limit and I put myself down and say I'm not good enough to be there.

"But now, I'm just giving everything a shot to see if it's for me or not."

A move to Canberra gave Papalii a much-needed fresh start after graduating from school. It looms as the perfect place for her to pursue a career with rugby league's biggest stage in the back of her mind.

"I'm looking at going into the army. I just want to do it now. I've been stepping back for a while, too scared of the outcomes," Papalii said.

More: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6180843/my-inspiration-crystal-papalii-follows-brother-joshs-footsteps/?cs=14239