Topic: Shannon Boyd in awe of the club's seasoned NRL front-row

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Shannon Boyd in awe of the club's seasoned NRL front-row
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:45:14 PM »
Canberra Raiders rookie Shannon Boyd in awe of the club's seasoned front-row

CANBERRA Raiders youngster Shannon Boyd says training alongside the club's seasoned front-row campaigners has given him a greater appreciation of what it will take for him to play first grade.

Boyd, 19, who stands at 193cm and weighs 123kg, has been elevated to the Raiders first grade training squad during the off-season, despite having a year left in the Under 20 Toyota Cup competition.

Boyd hopes to get a crack at first grade this season which is why he has focused on learning as much as possible from the Raiders' senior forwards.

"It's unreal being able to train with players such as Brett White, Tom Learoyd Lahrs, Dane Tilse and Dave Shillington," the NSW Under 18 representative said.

"They teach you a lot of stuff and are always helping you out.

"It's definitely going to help my game out so I'm blessed to be able to listen and learn from them.

"My goal this year is to hopefully debut in first grade so we'll see how I go.

"All I can control is how I play so if I'm playing at my best then hopefully I'll be pushing for a spot."

Boyd's efforts in preseason have not gone unnoticed with Raiders halfback Josh McCrone impressed with the youngster's attitude and efforts in training.

"I remember the time when I first trained with the top squad and it's a tough gig but Boydy has killed it and keeps getting better with every session," McCrone said.

"The opposed sessions aren't good when he's running straight at me so I'll be looking forward to him to be running off my shoulder."

Source: Herald Sun