Topic: Furner wants answers over Storm tackles

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Furner wants answers over Storm tackles
« on: March 06, 2012, 07:52:39 PM »
Furner wants answers over Storm tackles

CANBERRA coach David Furner has complained to the NRL about tactics the Melbourne Storm used in their tackles over the weekend.

Raiders coach David Furner has raised questions over the Storm players' tackling techniques

While the club was disappointed in the official’s rulings on two tries in last week's match, Furner said the two points have now passed them by but remained concerned over some rough play.

With as many as six tackles of interest, Furner said player safety way his main priority as a coach.

“There were a couple of incidents I had a look at,” Furner said.

“Mainly the welfare of the players there was a couple of complaints there about sore areas around the neck.

“I’ve handed it on to the right people to let them do the investigations.”

Facing the Gold Coast this weekend, Furner also confirmed his club has plans B and C in replacing injured winger Reece Robinson in this weekend’s match.

Robinson suffered a fractured cheekbone in the Raiders 24-19 loss to Melbourne on Saturday with Toyota Cup youngster Jack Wighton his replacement pending Wednesday nights NRL judiciary.

Wighton was charged with a dangerous throw stemming from the Raiders' 16-10 Toyota Cup win over the Storm last weekend and, while he will plead guilty on Wednesday night, the Raiders are appealing for the charge to be downgraded.

"He played a pretty aggressive type of football last week, so he's earned himself an opportunity," Furner told reporters.

“We feel we have some grounds where we can get it downgraded its just a matter of going down there on Wednesday night and hopefully that will happen so the kid gets a debut.”

Should the appeal fail, Furner said he has a contingency with 26-year-old former Catalans Dragons speedster Dimitri Pelo the next cab off the rank.

“I’ve got a plan B and C,” Furner continued.

“I think that’s our strongest possible option there.

“If that doesn’t happen we’ve also got Dimitri Pelo in that sort of a position there as well.”

Robinson is expected to miss up to a month with a fractured cheekbone, but won't need surgery only rest.

Source: Sports News First