Topic: Sam could be the Raiders' No 7 man despite loss

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Sam could be the Raiders' No 7 man despite loss
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »
Sam could be the Raiders' No 7 man despite loss

UNCAPPED Canberra Raiders playmaker Sam Williams has put his hand up for a shock NRL debut with an impressive showing in last night's 30-18 loss to the Canterbury Bulldogs.

With veteran halfback Matt Orford battling a knee injury which has kept him out of the Raiders' two trial games, Canberra coach David Furner said it was no longer a certainty the 32-year-old premiership-winner would face the Cronulla Sharks in round one in a fortnight.

The Raiders are also without star five-eighth Terry Campese until at least round 10 as he recovers from a knee reconstruction.

''We're still battling,'' Furner said. ''That's two starting halves with experiences.

''First-round game, it could be a case of us starting with young halves.''

Williams came on in the second half and scored a try as well as setting one up.

The under-20s captain isn't a part of the Raiders' NRL squad, but has turned plenty of heads with his assured performances in both of Canberra's two trials.

The Raiders never recovered from a sluggish start. The Bulldogs were up 12-0 after 10 minutes and 18-0 at half-time.

''They were more enthusiastic than us, I was a bit disappointed in that,'' Furner said.

''They put 18 points on us in that first half, and two from kicks.

''You just look at the little things there, the urgency around the ball.

''That back end of the first half we defended our line a couple times and didn't let them in.

''As the game got on we got better in the second half. I got enough out of there to be quite pleased.''

Back-rower Joe Picker suffered a rib injury early in the game and will be checked during the week.

Star fullback Josh Dugan left the field midway through the second half with a minor calf strain.

For more on this story, see the print edition of today’s Canberra Times.

Source: The Canberra Times

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: Sam could be the Raiders' No 7 man despite loss
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:27:12 AM »
I have always had a big rap on this kid. If you have seen him in the 20s he really knows how to play and get the rest of his team around the park. If Orford isn't ready then I am all for Williams at 7 and McCrone at 6. The last thing we want is rush Orford back for round one after knee surgery and have him stuff it again and be out for the season.

GB7600

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 01:03:13 PM »
There is no doubt that he is a option for us at 7. Is he ready for NRL? Probably not but he isn't far away and as you say I would rather give him a game than risk Orford.

Zeus

• John Ferguson
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 04:25:36 PM »
I have always had a big rap on this kid. If you have seen him in the 20s he really knows how to play and get the rest of his team around the park. If Orford isn't ready then I am all for Williams at 7 and McCrone at 6. The last thing we want is rush Orford back for round one after knee surgery and have him stuff it again and be out for the season.

:13:

Williams is a gooden

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:17:49 PM »
The great thing about Williams too is that he is a natural half back and not a manufactured one like McCrone. It would be better to put those two in rather than putting Picker at 6 and Mccrone at 7 if we have to and Matty Ox Orford is still injured.