Topic: Furner wants complete performance against Brisbane

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Furner wants complete performance against Brisbane
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:54:21 PM »
Canberra Raiders coach David Furner wants 'complete' performance against Brisbane

DAVID Furner knows exactly what he wants out of tonight's match against Brisbane at Canberra Stadium.

The Raiders coach didn't throw forward any tired cliches or false hopes.

When asked what he wants this evening, Furner said bluntly: ``I want the complete performance.''

Canberra has been an inconsistent unit throughout 2013, winning five of their 11 games.

The Raiders sit outside the top eight and are just two competition points ahead of tonight's rivals.

This match genuinely shapes as season-defining.

Put simply, both sides have to win.

Furner told The Daily Telegraph yesterday that his team must start well against the Broncos.

``We didn't close-off Manly at Brookvale (in their last game). We played two separate halves of football,'' Furner said.

``I guess we are looking for the complete performance.

``We have worked hard on our starts and that will be important against the fast-running Brisbane.

``We need to control the game.

``We have had a break (through the bye) and had the chance to reassess and set our goals.''

Canberra's Glen Buttriss will return from injury tonight at hooker for Shaun Berrigan.

The Raiders have no other injury concerns.

``We want that 80-minute performance,'' Furner said.

``As I said, our start will be crucial.

``When we have been beaten this year we haven't started the games well.

``If we don't get a good start, we certainly have the ability to come back and win.

``But it makes things all the more harder.''

The Broncos have been disappointing this season. One-time powerhouse Brisbane will field a respectable side this evening, although the days are long gone when they fielded a dozen legitimate stars.

Brisbane half-back Peter Wallace continues to attract speculation over his playing future.

It appears likely he may ask for a release to rejoin Penrith next season.

For now though, Wallace must guide his side to a win in a chilly Canberra.

The temperature this evening in the national capital will drop below zero degrees.

The five-eighth battle between Terry Campese (Canberra) and Scott Prince (Brisbane) should be enthralling.

``There are certain areas where we need to lift,'' Furner said.

``I think the next five weeks will be important for us, starting with Brisbane. That is what we will be focused on.

``Both teams (tonight) will be desperate.''

Brisbane centre Justin Hodges remains in doubt through injury.

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/canberra-raiders-coach-david-furner-wants-8216complete-performance-against-brisbane/story-fni3gmmv-1226660916472